Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Red Light District

So I read this article today that said Oregon drivers know the most about driving rules. The worst drivers in the country are apparently in New England states such as Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I want the authors of this study to take another look at Michigan drivers, because, MAN, they really suck! The authors of the study looked at passage rates of the written driver's test, and judged the worst states as those that had the lowest passage rate of the written test. Just because I know the rules, doesn't mean I follow 'em, folks! Most people know that the red light on the traffic signal means STOP. Does that mean they follow that rule? NO. Especially not where I live. Red apparently means stop, but only if you feel like it, and if you don't mind possibly getting hit, go for it!

Here's a "for instance" for you. One day my husband and I were headed over from our apartment to my parent's house. We get to the first traffic light that we have to go through, and I have a green light, but I slow down. Husband looks at me like I'm nuts, until he sees what I see. A car who apparently decided to take their chances with the red light that day, not slowing down at all as they approach their red light. It was one of those days when I wished I were a cop so that I could pull over dumb-asses such as this guy. This is only one example of the many, many experiences such as this that I have had. On my wedding day, every light I came to, someone ran it. I'm glad I was paying attention, because that would have sucked if I had gotten into and accident that day!

So the moral of the story, just because people in Oregon may know how to pass the written drivers test does not mean that they are the best drivers. They just know how to pass a test. And that study? Bites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home