Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Insomnia, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

That's the line that I had stuck in my head last night for some reason (sung to the Beatles - "She Loves You") at about 1 am while I was tossing and turning for the 3rd night in a row, and about the 5th week in a row. I've been having problems sleeping since September, but it has been really bad the past five weeks.

Here's a typical night - I'll use last night as an example.

Go to bed when tired (usually around 10 pm). Fall asleep hard and fast. Wake up at 1 am. Lay there for a while thinking that I should get up and do something different maybe, but decide I'm too lazy to do that. Fall asleep fitfully for the rest of the night (meaning, I wake up regularly, and then fall back asleep after about 10 minutes - this happens about 5 times a night). Wake up at 6 feeling like I couldn't drag my ass out of bed if someone were paying me a million dollars, but get up anyway, and for considerably less money. Work, rinse, repeat.

Last night I even added some Tylenol Cold Nighttime to the mix, thinking it was my case of the sniffles I'm currently dealing with that was keeping me up. Usually that stuff knocks me the heck out and keeps me down well past the alarm going off. Last night, I woke up feeling refreshed, thinking that the alarm was probably about to go off. And I laid there. And laid there. And then I finally looked at the clock and it was about 1:30.

I was not amused, to say the least.

I'm thinking that a bath and some tea are going to be instituted tonight, so that maybe I can unwind a little more.

Although, I do have to admit, that I called in to work this morning and slept in until almost 10 (3 straight hours - woohoo!) before getting ready and coming in.

But I still feel exhausted and about ready to collapse. Christmas break (and 12 straight days off) really messed with my schedule.

3 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Sleepytime tea and take some Benedryl! I have done that the last two nights and it has worked GREAT!!! I fall right to sleep and stay asleep all night!!!! Good luck, I know what your going thru! :)

 
At 1/24/2006 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! I have the exact same kind of insomnia. Mine comes and goes, but I can go through months at a time where I go to sleep just fine, but then wake up around 3 and don't go back to sleep. Before we started trying to have a baby, I resorted to prescription sleep medicine called Sonata. I'm not normally a pill popper, but insomnia just blows.
Sonata only has a three hour lifespan, so it's perfect if you're waking up midway through the night.

 
At 1/24/2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

lack of sleep is THE worst. i'd say try some acupuncture but i am not sure if that makes me sound "santa cruz-y". everyone here loves it and it has certainly helped me immensely. and i hate needles!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home