Friday, July 21, 2006

Apparently it is possible to make a joke out of anything

Last night I was awoken from a deep sleep to Aaron turning on the light, shaking me and telling me that I needed to call an ambulance for him. He was pacing, obviously shaken, and having trouble breathing. Before I called an ambulance I asked what was wrong. His heart was racing, he couldn't breath and he was feeling lightheaded.

He was having a panic attack.

I sat him down and told him to take deep breaths and put his head between his knees. He started to calm down and stopped hyperventilating. (My heart is racing just thinking about this.) He finally realized he was okay - not an easy feat for someone having a panic attack - and I had him lay down and relax. I went and got a movie and put it in the DVD player so that we would stay up and I could make sure he was really alright before we fell back asleep.

Then I said, "Will you be alright for a second? I have to pee."

His reply? "I'm sure you do. Having someone wake you up like that will scare the piss right out of you!"

(He is, thankfully, fine. It was quite the scary situation, but I guess there is something good about being prone to panic attacks: you can diagnose them in others too.)

3 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently realized that a lot of people have these . . .so many people have mentioned that they suffer from them. It sounds scary . . .

 
At 7/23/2006 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God that sucks. It has to be the worst feeling to not be in control of your body.

 
At 7/24/2006 1:57 PM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Wow! That sounds so scary! So glad that he is okay! I think it is great that he was able to joke about it so soon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home