Saturday, November 04, 2006

Sometimes...

I wish I could assign a soundtrack to an entry. Today's soundtrack would consist of one song - "Nausea" the new single from Beck.

Last night I decided to go to the Step and Sculpt class at my gym. Friday is the easiest class of the week, so I thought that I'd be fine. Apparently the teacher decided to make this class harder than usual, because we were flying all over the place - right step, right v, turn step, turn step, over the top, diagonal, hop-turn, A step, right step, then repeat on the other side. Yeah, the sequence is stuck in my head. We did lots of other things too - this teacher is big on lunges and squats. I was fine and keeping up excellently until the end of class when we were cooling down and doing some stretches.

I've fainted a few times before, so I know the warning signs, which in my case include light-headedness and a loud ringing in my ears before the darkness creeps in from the sides. Well, I guess I forgot to breathe during one of the stretches and I felt the lightheadedness coming in. Then the ringing in my ears got really loud. So I sat my ass on the floor and put my head between my knees.

The quickest way to freak out a step instructor and the rest of the people in the class is in fact suddenly sitting down and putting your head between your knees. Oops. I guess passing out would have freaked them out more though, so they should be happy that I know the soon-to-be-fainting signs.

Luckily the class was about a minute from being over at that point (I like a dramatic ending), so I decided to head out. All of the sudden an intense feeling of impending-vomit took over the worry about passing out. It passed just as quickly as it came, but I called Aaron as soon as I got to my locker and informed him that we would not be eating chicken for dinner tonight - I don't particularly like chicken anyway, so chicken and nausea don't mix for me.

I feel bad for freaking everyone else, and of course am just about embarrassed to death. From now on my mantra during class will be this: remember to breathe. It's apparently important.

2 Comments:

At 11/04/2006 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell your pain sister. I'm a big fainter myself. (Once when I was getting my hair cut. How mortifying.)

The nausea afterward is the worst...even if it's only a near-faining experience.

 
At 11/06/2006 9:13 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

Wow - honestly, I just admire you for working-out so hard that you nearly fainted! Not to make light of it...I'm sure that is a really terrifying feeling.

I think you definitely need more McFlurries - maybe you've burned too many calories and your body needs more fuel! (Well, that can be your excuse, anyway.) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home