Thursday, October 26, 2006

Reflections

Yesterday's post got me thinking more about when I was younger. Aaron and I were talking about our childhoods this past weekend, and I revealed to him what my life goal was when I was a kid: to be a teenager. I was absolutely looking forward to age 13 more than anything else. To be a teenager was it; the coolest thing that would ever happen to me. At 13 I would be old and sophisticated. I could wear makeup. I could shave my legs. I could wear cool clothes, and go to the mall to hang out with my friends. It would be the best.

I was so excited about getting to be a teenager, that I couldn't even wait to be a "pre-teen". Once, when I was eleven, I told my mom that I was a "pre-teen" and she said no, that 12 was when I was a "pre-teen". So I said fine, I was a "pre-pre-teen". That led to endless teasing of course, but I didn't care. Anything that could remotely link me to being a teenager was fine with me, teasing or not.

Then, of course, the teenage years came and I was miserable. I wasn't allowed to do many of the things I wanted to. Of course I was able to wear makeup in public instead of just during dress-up play. I was able to shave my legs at 12, so that wasn't a big deal any more. But I didn't have that freedom I thought being a teenager would bring me. My parents were still as strict as ever and I felt like I wasn't allowed to do anything. It just wasn't fair!

The teenaged years were also my "awkward period". I was still finding where I fit in and my sense of style. My hair was awful in every picture taken during those years, and my makeup wasn't much better. I was moody. I was angst-filled. I caused trouble at home, not by doing anything that would be considered dangerous or illegal, but basically, I was just being really annoying.

The realization came to me this weekend that for the first half of my life I strived to be 13, and now more than 13 more years have passed since I reached my goal. I'm much happier now than when I was a teenager, thank God for that, and if only I knew how great the post-teenaged years could be I think I would have wished to be 26 instead of 13. 26 is much better.

I just have to keep remembering this instead of getting depressed that another birthday is right around the corner.

3 Comments:

At 10/26/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

ya cuz if 26 is better than 13, just imagine what 39 will be like!? it will be so awesome!

 
At 10/26/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

I know! I'm 26 too, and I can honestly say that this has been the best year of my life so far. Even just 5 years ago, when I was 21 and still in college, 26 sounded so OLD. Well, here I am, and 26 doesn't feel so old anymore, and I'm happier and more secure in my own skin than I've ever been.

Hell, you couldn't PAY me to go back to any age under 23 or so.

 
At 10/27/2006 2:56 AM, Blogger vasilisa said...

Until I hit 20 I looked forward to every birthday, cause I had such grand plans... Now, they just seem to come so often so fast... Like, didn't I just have one?

Though my favourite age was 14. I don't know why. I was happy at 14. And then it kinda stalled for awhile... Really, teenagehood is quite awful, even in retrospect...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home