Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Childhood Fears

I'm a scaredy cat, generally speaking. I'm scared of a lot of things: the dark, spiders, heights, ghosts, and fire, to name a few. Thankfully this list is much shorter than when I was little. When I was a kid I was scared of more things. I had one specific fear that was really bad until I was around 4 or 5, that is pretty ridiculous, and which I'm embarrassed about now. My family still teases me about it because it was so silly. I don't mean to offend anyone with this, so be forewarned. It was just the fear of an imaginative little child.

I was scared of little people.

The first time I encountered a little person was in daycare. The daycare owner's brother and his wife were little people and so was their daughter, who attended the daycare. It really bothered the owner that I was afraid of her niece, so we were asked to leave. It didn't matter how much she was explained to me, she freaked me out. She was older than me, but the size of my little brother.

I thought she was an elf.

This is the only incident of this fear I remember. I may have blocked further incidents from memory. This past summer my grandmother was telling me a story about when we were at the grocery store once, and a little person walked down the aisle we were in. I, apparently, completely lost it. I started crying and hiding behind my grandmother. I can't imagine how embarrassing this must have been for her. My parents too - can you imagine your kid getting kicked out of daycare because she was scared of another kid? I really was a wuss.

I got over the fear, obviously. I don't remember when that happened either, but maybe when I learned that elves weren't real, and that these little people were just that: people. But, for a while there, I was irrationally afraid of little people.

So, am I alone in this? Did any of you have embarrassing and irrational fears when they were little? How about now? What freaks you out?

5 Comments:

At 10/25/2006 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it's not quite as funny as the fear of little people. But I was TERRIFIED of The Count on Sesame Street. Thought he was under my bed every night and coming to kill me. Now he's one of my favorite characters, but back then, I thought he was evil!

Now I just have an irrational fear of suspension bridges. I refuse to cross the Golden Gate Bridge every time we are in SF, and if I have to drive over the bridge over the Mississippi, I make someone else drive and just look down at my lap the whole time until we are across.

 
At 10/25/2006 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had forgotten, but yeah that count was a scary mutha!

 
At 10/25/2006 1:20 PM, Blogger Deanna said...

Do you ever watch that show on TLC about the Roloff family?? I can't think of any irrational childhood fears. I think I might have been a fearless kid, especially judging from the number of times I wrecked my bike doing crazy things! I do hate to look over sharp drops though. Makes me feel dizzy. A girl I work with is afraid of clowns. That's too funny to me! One day, several people (not me) decided it would be funny to put a book on her desk that was full of illustrations of clowns.

 
At 10/25/2006 1:56 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I love that show about the Roloff family!

My step-dad is a fireman, and if he was ever not home at night after I had been put to bed, I was scared of a fire starting in our house. Somehow, I was only scared if he wasn't home...as if just the presence of a fireman was enough to prevent fire.

I also was afraid of watching 20/20. I was scared of the news stories about murder, kidnapping, etc. Now I'm just scared of Barbara Walters.

 
At 10/25/2006 1:58 PM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

I still hate the Umpa Loompas! Other then that I don't like spiders and I have such a fear of burglars! When my husband goes away on business I stay up all night listeing for break ins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home