Thursday, January 26, 2006

Public Humiliation

I know it may not be "cool" to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm bothered, so here I jump.

Did you watch James Frey on Oprah today? If not, let me assure you it was pretty hard to watch. I understand she was upset because she put her "stamp of approval" on something that turned out to cause a huge scandal. And she was lied to and kind of made a fool of. I get that. I'd be angry too.

I don't think I would have, however, paraded him out onto my show to berate him like she did.

Whatever is true or not about James Frey's book, it still doesn't take away from his incredible talent as a writer. I could feel his words. I felt pain when he did in the book, and I felt sad when he was sad in the book.

And today, as he sat on her stage (and was brave enough to show up, because I know I wouldn't have had the balls to go on the show when I knew what was probably waiting for me) shaking and obviously upset at being called a liar over and over again (which whatever, he lied about some things - like I said, the book still moved me, true or not) I felt sad for him.

I'm usually a HUGE Oprah fan. I think she does a lot of good things, I learn a lot of things from her show, and basically, she's very entertaining. But today, I wasn't on her side. I don't think that, just because she has this outlet that she should publicly flog someone on it. I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and uncalled for.

I don't know what your thoughts are on the whole thing, but those are mine. And I know that this is the "hot topic" that people are talking about, and everyone will have something different to say. This is mine.

5 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I really don't understand why it's such a big damn deal. It's a book. Just a book. And whatever the details, it's still the story of someone who overcame addiction. I never read the book, and I never planned to, even before the scandal, because it's just not a topic of interest to me. But let the man alone, for goodness sake!

 
At 1/27/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

i am with both of you. his books are some of the best i have read in years. they are moving and well written and unique. i don't give a crap if some of it is fictionalized. it'd still be a great story, even if the whole damn thing was made up.

and don't get me started on Oprah. she pisses me off.if she liked the book enough to give it her stamp, she should stick by it. i certainly wouldn't want her in my corner when the shit hits the fan. she joins the mob. ugh!

 
At 1/28/2006 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Oprah too but I think she had to save face and show what a bad example this guy was. Millions bought his book on his fakeness. But I still love Oprah even though she publicly put him on the stake...hehe that's my evil side.

CAme by Sarcastic J

 
At 1/28/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger karla said...

I'm still shocked that he lied in the book. I know for me the book was so amazing to me because it was supposedly true. I went around telling everyone, "Ohmygod! You won't believe what I just read!" And then I'd recount the last few pages and say, "I know! It sounds unbelievable, but it's TRUE!" I think it would have been a decent book if it had been billed as fiction, but not the huge blockbuster it was when it was billed as a memoir. Memoirs are my favorite reads because I find them so much more fascinating than fiction, and I felt duped when I realized it wasn't true. I think Frey made Oprah look like a fool when he sat on her show initially and swore it was all true--then said over and over in subsequent interviews with others, "Yes, it's all true." I'd be outraged if I were her, and I don't blame her for making him explain himself.

 
At 1/28/2006 10:52 AM, Blogger karla said...

That said, I'm not exactly sticking up for Oprah--I'm not a fan of hers. That Hermes thing makes me want to punch her in the kidney.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home