Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Thank Goodness for a Full Night of Sleep

This is probably not a very exciting post today, but I'm busy so it has to be a quick one. They're actually expecting me to *gasp* work today, so I only have a quick second to post.

So, anyway, I've been having a problem with insomnia again lately. It's almost literally driving me nuts. It also seems that I passed it on to Aaron - Insomnia: it's catching in my house, so stay away. Aaron's been stressed about the not sleeping thing too, which I think makes insomnia a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more we worry about it the more likely we are to experience it.

So anyway, last night Aaron looked at me and told me that he had never seen me look more tired than I did right then. I guess I must have looked pretty tired because it seems that I'm always tired and looking that way. I've been struggling to stay up until at least ten o'clock so that hopefully I'll sleep better, but it hasn't really been working. I made it to ten last night, then took a sleeping pill (which I only take as a last resort or when I have a bunch of meetings the next day, which is what happened today) and fell fast asleep.

Of course, then I woke up at one having to go to the bathroom. I've been waking up at one just about every night to go to the bathroom and then I usually can't fall back asleep. I've even limited how much I drink during the day and especially the evening to prevent this. It doesn't work.

Well, after I woke up at one I laid back down and then my next thought was, gee, why can't I seem to fall back asleep? So I looked at the clock again to see what time it was. It was 4:30. I had fallen back asleep, but just didn't realize it. I fell right back asleep after that thought too and slept till the alarm went off.

So all in all it was a decent night sleep. Finally. Too bad it was peppered with moments of wakefulness and strange dreams (one of which freaked Aaron out so much when I told him about it that I swore I would never speak of it again). I have yoga tonight so that should help relax me so I can sleep at least as well as I did last night. Here's hoping tonight is even better.

4 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 3:09 PM, Blogger JustJane said...

The mind can over ride a lot of normal processes in the body...resting is the biggest thing. Next time you run into those sleepless periods in the middle of the night where you are debating what is keeping you awake, get out of bed. Laying there frusterated won't do anything for you. Go into the middle of the room in front of a window so you can see the moon and stars and do some easy yoga stretching with the breathing. Clear your mind and just concentrate on the breath. It's a good way to reset you mind and relax. When you get back to bed try and keep your head clear and stay in the zone. You'll fall to sleep. Works for me.

 
At 4/25/2006 3:43 PM, Blogger Paige said...

I've tried that and every other thing and I'm afriad that pills are the only thing that works for me. I'm in a no-sleep cycle right now also. Seems I get two or three hours at a time with a max of 6 hours for the whole night. Uhg. And even then...It's not deep sleep. I wake up if the clock ticks too loud. :/

 
At 4/25/2006 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jessie, I could have written this post. Man, I feel for you that totally sucks. I'm right there with you.
Hope tonight is better!

 
At 4/26/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

yoga to the rescue!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home