Friday, December 22, 2006

The Christmas Tag of Joy

(Thanks to Julie for this one!)

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
Um, anything but egg nog, so definitely hot chocolate. With a little peppermint schnapps in mine, thanks!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
For most of my life, Santa has wrapped the gifts he left under the tree, although I do remember one Christmas when I was very young that he just sat them under the tree. I don’t know why that changed, but it did.

3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white?
Colored lights all the way, babe. We have colored lights in all the windows, on our balcony (with red candy cane lights too) and on the tree.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Again, it’s something that was done when I was much younger, but we haven’t hung any in years.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Not until after Thanksgiving, definitely, but usually around the first week in December we start putting up decorations. We take our sweet time doing it though – this year it took 2 weeks to get everything up.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
We don’t have a traditional holiday meal, but when we have these two things, they’re my favorite: Ham and Cheesy Potatoes.

7. Favorite Holiday memory?
Hmmm…that’s a tough one. Probably, and this is corny, the year we got our Nintendo when I was a kid. My dad handed my brother and I each a small package to open. They were both Nintendo games, so we got excited thinking we were getting the gaming system, but then we noticed there were no other gifts under the tree.

“You can take them to your friends’ houses to play!” my dad exclaimed.

Well, as you can imagine, we were pretty bummed. Then, like magic somehow, there was one more box under the tree that we hadn’t seen before. It was our Nintendo. We spent the rest of the day in front of the television, playing our games, and fighting half-heartedly over whose turn it was. We couldn’t really fight because we were just so excited. The whole box appearing from nowhere made it seem like the most magical Christmas moment of my young life.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I honestly don’t remember. I don’t think it was a big deal to me ever.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Almost never. Gifts are for Christmas Day, silly! However, since we usually travel for Christmas Aaron and I typically exchange gifts before we leave so that we don’t have to cart everything with us and then back home again. I think our “Christmas” will be tomorrow morning before we head to my parents’ house.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

I’m confused by this – in what order, or with what decorations? I’m going with what decorations. We have colored lights, silver tinsel garland, and tons of ornaments. Every year of his life Aaron’s grandmother has gotten him an ornament, and she gave them all to us the year we got married, so that makes up quite a few of our ornaments. We usually buy each other an ornament every year as a gift, and then of course, we have two of the ornaments that we gave out as favors at our wedding. I think our tree is beautiful.

11. Snow: Love it or Hate it?
I love it if I don’t have to drive in it. I wish we had some this year. This may be my first non-white Christmas ever. How sad is that?

12. Can you ice skate?
Depends on what you mean by ice skate. If you mean can I strap skates to my feet and skate around the edge of the rink while falling about every 3 minutes? Then yes, I can ice skate.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Well, my favorite gift from recent years was my KitchenAid Stand Mixer I got last year. It’s red to match all my other small appliances, and I use it all the time.

14. What’s the most important thing?
Spending time with my family, sharing good food, and of course, Jesus’ birth; those are definitely the most important things.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
It’s a tie between buche de noel (chocolate sponge cake rolled with chocolate whipped cream) and pecan pie.

16. ??? There was no 16

17. What tops your tree?
We have an angel that Aaron and I bought for our first Christmas together.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
While I don’t mind the receiving part, I love giving gifts and seeing how people react to them. I’m a very giving person, so it makes sense that the giving of gifts would be my favorite. However, I’m not a shopping person, so if I could just magically get the gifts I give to other people, it would be a perfect world.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
“What Christmas Means to Me” by Stevie Wonder is my favorite overall Christmas song, and “Oh, Come All Ye Faithful” has always been my favorite hymn on Christmas.

20. Candy canes: Yuck or Yum?
I usually eat about one per year. I also like to crush them and add them to hot cocoa. Other than that, I could probably live without them.

If you’re in the holiday mood consider yourself tagged. Happy Holidays to everyone!

2 Comments:

At 12/26/2006 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you check out the rolls at Ree's? She gave us the recipe on her post today. I thought of you. =)

 
At 12/27/2006 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colored christmas lights all the way, baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home