Friday, December 15, 2006

Never a Dull Moment Around Here, Part III

Well, it has happened again. Someone was shot at the apartment complex across the street from our complex at five o'clock this morning, and apparently the police have swarmed the area. Who knows what happened; the news didn't give many details yet. I'm sure I'll hear more about it on the evening news. I didn't hear the shots or any sirens. I'm a sound sleeper, having become that way while I lived across the street from a fraternity house for many years.

It's so weird. We really don't live in a bad area. We live in a popular suburb of a small urban area. People have been moving here in droves in recent years because of the good schools and small community feel. But the part of town I live in directly borders the larger city and the crime is spreading this way. It's a little scary. Aaron called to tell me that there was something going on out there, and that I should take our can of PAM out there and spray any strange person that came near me, since we have no mace or pepper spray (if you get that reference you get a cookie).

I'll update if I hear more, but yes. Definitely a shooting, definitely less than a 1/4 mile away from my front door (again) and I'm definitely a smaller town girl because this is just too much for me. I want to move back to my home town so bad lately. Literally nothing like this ever happens there. (Well, that's not entirely true, someone did accidentally shoot themselves in the mouth a couple of weeks ago, but that's more stupidity than a crime.)

UPDATE:

Here's a cut and paste from the local news - Deputies tell News Ten an 18-year old woman was killed and another person was injured. The shootings happened around 4:30 Friday morning. Deputies are now looking for a man named Jeffrey Husband. They say he's a person of interest and would like to talk to him

So at least it sounds like it wasn't random, which always settles me a little bit.

3 Comments:

At 12/15/2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Yeah, I can see how that would be more than a little unsettling.

It's true though that it always makes you feel better to know it's not random. I check the police blotter for our neighborhood pretty regularly, and while there is a certain amount of crime that goes on, very little of it is random violence. Still sad and disturbing, but less threatening.

 
At 12/15/2006 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angels go before you and protect you.

!! Scare me!!!

I get a cookie! I get the PAM Joke.

Did you watch GMA This morning? They had Pistacio (Nuts.. can't spell) and Cranberry Log cookies. THEY LOOKED SO GOOD!!!

 
At 12/15/2006 8:54 PM, Blogger RichM said...

Gee, I hope it isn't the tentacles of urban gangs reaching out. They seem to be surging around here (a worse problem I think than the Mafia, which everybody thinks about New Jersey).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home