Friday, May 05, 2006

Late Night Flashback

When I was younger, the show The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire was one of my favorites and my little sister and I watched every week and watched the reruns in syndication. This whole mess was totally opposite the attitude I was trying to portray outside my house, but it was a fun show (or at least so I thought at the time) and I liked it.

Last night I managed to catch an episode at 3 in the morning (which is another blog entry that I don't feel like writing) and it brought back a very hilarious memory. In this particular episode Ashley (the younger daughter) went parking with a boy but decided she wasn't ready to "give it up" yet. She came back to the house after her date and Will confronted her, and she revealed that he didn't have to worry, she was still a virgin. She gave some speech about how she was too young and not ready to mess things up with sex, and so on, and Will was proud of her and there's where the show ends.

The first time this show was on, my sister and I were watching. She was probably eight or nine at the time and I was about fifteen or sixteen. After the show was over, she and I went into the kitchen to get something to drink. My mom was in there washing dishes and my sister looked up at her, with big innocent eyes and asked, "Mom, what's a virgin?".

Cue me turning bright red but trying not to be embarrassed in front of my mom and so pretending that I didn't hear anything.

"A virgin is someone who is not yet married" replied my mom. A perfectly acceptable, dodgy response for an eight-year-old in a Christian household.

"So, I'm a virgin?" she asked, to which my mom responded, "Yes."

"And Jessie's a virgin?" she asked.

My mother's response was priceless and completely mortifying all at once.

"She better be."

2 Comments:

At 5/05/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

ha ha!

 
At 5/07/2006 11:31 PM, Blogger Lena said...

I dread this day! My daughter is four and...I cannot even think about it! Your poor mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home