Sunday, June 18, 2006

Tomatoes and Basil and Projects, Oh My

First, the "Great Tomato/Basil Project of '06"

Look! Tomatoes (well at least tomato plants)!


Also, Basil!

It is bordering on ridiculous, how excited I am about these two plants. I can't wait for the tomatoes to grow so I can pick them and make delicious things, like marinara sauce, or fresh bruschetta, or even just tomato salad. And the basil will become part of the marinara and bruschetta, or even pesto. It is all rather exciting.

The reason my excitement is so ridiculous is because if you had told me even five years ago that I would be dying to plant vegetables and herbs and take care of plants I would have laughed, and laughed, and laughed at you. This is because my parents have a fairly large vegetable garden that they used to force me to help them weed and water and other such annoyances, and I hated it. And! And they made me eat vegetables fresh from the garden all summer long, with grilled meat and stuff like that! It was pure torture!

Yeah, then I grew up. I would kill to have a large vegetable garden in the country which filled my table with it's bounty every night. I would even kill to have a grill. Well, not technically kill, but you know what I mean. It would be awesome. And vegetables? Can't eat enough of them. I crave fresh fruit and vegetables constantly. I keep begging Aaron to spend large portions of our weekends (not otherwise occupied by weddings recently) at Upick farms picking up fresh produce. So, yes. I am very excited about the tomatoes (four plants) and basil (also four plants), and you will very likely be hearing about them and seeing pictures of them all summer long. Just thought I'd give you fair warning.

Okay, on to the "Project", otherwise known as the big suprise. I have been taught how to crochet by one of my coworkers, and have gotten pretty far. Here's the two blocks of my lap afghan (read: very tiny blanket) that I have finished:


I am also ridiculously excited about this, but for very different reasons. Mostly because I love the feeling of creating something with my own hands, and this is definitely that. Of course, there will also be pictures of this when it is completed.

5 Comments:

At 6/18/2006 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colour me impressed -- I can't grow or crochet anything to save my life.

 
At 6/19/2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

mamatulip - the growing thing is still up in the air. I typically have a very non-green thumb, and can kill even the most supposedly non-killable plants in mere weeks.

 
At 6/19/2006 5:41 PM, Blogger Pioneer Woman said...

You will love your basil!

I presently have 18 tomato plants growing and no clue what I'm going to do with my harvest.

Probably just take pictures of them and blog it.

 
At 6/19/2006 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous - since we have moved into our house I have always had a nice garden with tomato's, green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and squash and then I had my herb pots with everything imagineable but I couldn't get anything planted this spring with my broken foot and my kids are already complaining about the lack of fresh veggies.

I can't wait to see how this project come out!

 
At 6/20/2006 8:39 AM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Consider me green. Green with envy. :) I would love to have tomato plants, basil, rosemary, the list could go on forever especially since I hadn't even started on the veggies. :) I love 'em.

I can't wait to see more pictures as they grow. Good luck! I am also a plant killer. But am trying.

Ree- send those tomatoes my way. YUM! :) 18 plants - well, maybe the cowboys and their families will take some.

Crochet? I tried and just couldn't do it. But I was young and probably not as interested as someone wanted me to be. I do cross stitch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home