Thursday, June 08, 2006

Phone Stalker

Wow, that title kind of sounds a little creepy. Like the “Night Stalker”, that serial killer who is currently appealing his sentence out in California, or something like that. I don’t think what’s happening with the “Phone Stalker” is quite that creepy or serious, but I guess only time will tell.

You see, we’re having a problem with a Phone Stalker in the Ca household. My husband grew up with this girl; we’ll call her Lisa. He was friends with her throughout high school, but claims this was mostly because she didn’t really have any other friends and he felt bad for her, so he would hang out with her or at least talk to her at school so she wouldn’t feel so lonely. What a sweet guy, huh?

Well, apparently if you show here attention she gets a little clingy. When he left for college he didn’t give her his number and told his parents not to either, and therefore he hadn’t heard from her in almost ten years. Fast forward to a bar last weekend where Lisa ran into my brother-in-law: she was very excited to see him, and asked all about Aaron. My brother-in-law said something to the effect of “You should just call him. Here’s his number” and gave Lisa Aaron’s number.

Commence Lisa calling Aaron’s cell phone about 6 times a day.

The first call was at 10:30 Tuesday night. Aaron’s phone was in our bedroom, so it woke me up. I just ignored it and started to drift off again, when the phone rang a second time, about five minutes after the first call. She left a message the first time, but not the second time. Yesterday morning she called Aaron twice, left one message and then sent him three text messages.

Obviously, it’s getting a little annoying.

Aaron called his brother to “thank” him for handing out his number, and during that call Lisa called yet again. There were no further calls last night (although Aaron may have turned off his phone, I don’t know and I didn’t check), but I was kind of hoping there would be. I’m planning on answering the next time she calls when I’m around. I don’t think she knows Aaron’s married, but I have a feeling that having me answer will do one of two things: scare her from calling again, or make him more attractive to her. Aaron hasn’t answered any of her calls yet and is dreading more calls. He thought it was funny at first. Now he thinks it’s a little pathetic. I can understand wanting to catch up with an old friend, but five calls and three text messages in under twenty-four hours? Is a little much.

Wish me luck.

5 Comments:

At 6/08/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger Sarah Barah said...

That is very creepy indeed. Maybe a quick text message from you would do the trick??

 
At 6/08/2006 10:15 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

it is pretty pathetic. maybe if aaron just answered her call she'd get the hint? he could be kind but firm? i like your idea of you answering. throw her off her creepy over-calling!

 
At 6/09/2006 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, she needs to take a hint. I hate to sound callous but she is not the kind of person you want having your number.
I had an old friend from hs who looked me up online and started calling me. After the first strained conversation where it was clear we have nothing in common after 17 years, I didn't return her calls. I know it sounds mean but what else can you do?

 
At 6/09/2006 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guess what? My sister was almost kidnapped by the Night Stalker! I should blog about that....

 
At 6/12/2006 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got rid of our phone stalker by answering when she called our house late and asking rather tersley what she needed. Of course this was after she had alternately called home and hubby's cell for the better part of the previous day. We got our phone records and she called us 39 times in a 24 hrs but she has only called 2x since then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home