Tuesday, June 20, 2006

We've Got a New Drug

Aaron and I have a new addiction. It started just over a week ago and we are helpless to its draw. The focus of our addiction only occurs on Mondays. Monday evenings at 9, to be exact.

We are addicted to Hell’s Kitchen.

First of all, let me tell you that I love food. I love everything about food. I love reading about it, planning it, shopping for it, eating it, but most importantly I love creating it. My dream job (if it had better hours and a more certain outcome) would be to own a restaurant. A very fancy restaurant. Hell’s Kitchen is about twelve people competing to run a very fancy restaurant in Las Vegas.

I happened on the season premier last Monday and we were instantly sucked in, even though we were doing something else—I think it was a fierce cribbage battle, but it could have been scrabble. I’m not sure. What ever it was, it instantly ended as we were now staring helplessly at the glowing box that was showing us this show.

The show is funny, humiliating, and just simply intriguing. I don’t know what we Americans love about a mean British man, but the main guy on the show (I think his name is Gordon, but for some reason I can’t remember his name this morning) is captivating. He swears at the 12 (now 8, actually) hopefuls; “Move your ass!” is about the mildest it gets. He puts up with no excuses, and insists on perfection. Now, I’ve worked in a fancy restaurant before, so I know how crazy it can get, but I’ve never seen anyone so insistent that everything is just so. It definitely makes it harder to complete the tasks he sets forth. Well, that and the fact that the contestants seem to be fairly incompetent at times.

So, yes. We’re addicted. Completely and hopelessly. Anyone else?

(As a side note, did anyone else watch Treasure Hunt on Sunday? And if so, were you as disappointed in the show as I was?)

7 Comments:

At 6/20/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I TRIED to watch Treasure Hunters but it was so annoying to me that I had to turn it off and go water the lawn. Now you know something is bad if I voluntarily go water the lawn to avoid it.

 
At 6/20/2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to watch Treasure Hunters, but I also was too disappointed to keep watching. Amazing Race is so much better!

 
At 6/20/2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I can't watch reality tv, but I think I might enjoy Hell's Kitchen. Sounds like work. What channel is it on?

 
At 6/20/2006 5:53 PM, Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

malnurtured snay - it's on Fox, 9pm Mondays. I'm not usually one for reality tv either (except for America's Next Top Model) but this one is pretty good.

 
At 6/20/2006 7:26 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Treasure Hunters just seemed like the Amazing Race to me which I don't watch so I flipped the channel.

Hell's Kitchen now that's a different story. We are Teevoing it so we don't miss an episode. I don't know when I caught it but I saw him on the BBC version and he's very polite to the apprentices. Apparently screaming ass-hole only plays in the US and only American's will put up with it for a chance at a restaurant. We adore it and are already rooting for the guy that was in jail. I would love to eat there and am actually checking into it for our trip in Sept.

 
At 6/20/2006 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Australia so I didn't watch the show, but I can tell you the chef's name is Gordon Ramsey and he is always belligerent, its his trademark. The English series Ramsey's Boiling Point shows just what a bastard he is. However, he is also a brilliant chef.

 
At 6/20/2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Barah said...

We watched it last season, and have four hours waiting for us courtesy of TiVo. Glad to hear that it's good this season so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home