Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Stunning Admission

I'm about to admit something to you all that alternately shames me and makes me happy. Here goes: I am a coffee snob. Like, seriously a snob about it. So much so that it is actually paining me this week because I've been drinking things like Folgers and *shudder* Maxwell house all week long. Seriously? Ew.

Aaron and I met at a small independent coffee shop where we both worked. The owners got their beans from a small local roaster and had the beans specially blended and roasted to their specifications. They also taught us more than we ever expected to know about coffee, to the point where we really didn't consider ourselves "coffee shop workers". We were baristas. (Gah, I'm even annoying myself right now.)

There is a small, local roaster across the street from my office, and that's where we get our coffee. We grind our own beans every morning for our drip maker. We don't own a home espresso machine because they don't have the proper pressure to make a real shot of espresso. We don't even drink Starbucks, because they burn their beans (except I will drink a Pumpkin Spice latte, because, um, delicious!).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that we're picky about our coffee, even if we do drink it with liquid CoffeeMate in the mornings. Up here in the Great White North, there aren't very many coffee shops, at least not than I can find, so I'm stuck drinking Maxwell House made in the hotel room coffee maker. Yet another reason that I can't wait to get home.

4 Comments:

At 9/27/2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Is this were you stop hanging around me because I drink Folgers instant every morning?

 
At 9/27/2006 5:21 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

if i still drank coffee, i'd be a snob along with ya.

 
At 9/28/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger vasilisa said...

because there is coffee, and then there is COFFEE.

I personally don't drink coffee at all (and I'm the only person I know who doesn't), but my parents once brought some exotic beans from Mexico. They roasted and grinded them.

Let me tell you, that was COFFEE! If that was available everyday from a local coffee shop, I'd be an addict!

 
At 9/28/2006 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too! Me too! When we go on vacation with my inlaws, I bring my own beans because they drink Maxwell House aka the devil's brew.

Now that I'm preggers, I can only have one cup a day. let me tell you how much I savor that cup of coffee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home