Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Cure

The cure to my major case of hormonal grumpiness yesterday was being seriously goofy with my husband last night. I'm feeling much better today, thanks.

Bethiclaus posted the other day about a Christmas tradition in her family. Her family's tradition (a family ornament) was very sweet. Our family tradition is seriously dorky, but fun. Also, weird.

You see, a few years ago around Christmas we somehow got a stuffed mouse toy from a Burger King kids meal. It's a really ugly little thing, but mostly round and fun to throw around. So that year we started throwing it at each other, and sneak attacks were always the best. If the other person didn't see it coming and you managed to hit them with the mouse, it would cause an eruption of laughter. We would also hide it places so you would find the mouse when you least expected it. It was all a lot of fun.

After Christmas that year we packed the mouse toy away with the Christmas lights by accident. The next year when we opened the box containing the lights there it was, and the fun started all over again. That year we purposely packed the mouse away with the lights, and this has now become our family tradition around Christmas.

Well, last night Aaron started pulling out the Christmas lights and suddenly I got beaned in the side of the head by the mouse (it's tiny and couldn't hurt a fly even at the highest speed we can throw it, so it didn't hurt). And the fun started. We chased each other around the apartment, hiding around corners so that we could do surprise attacks on the other person. The fun ended when the mouse almost landed on Aaron's slice of pumpkin pie, but there are many more nights of mouse-throwing to come. It usually ends on New Years day when we pack up the decorations, so there's more than a month of this fun left. I absolutely love it!

So - any other weird holiday traditions out there?

5 Comments:

At 11/28/2006 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that! Fun and pesky!

We have a real christmas tree. Our Tradition is to burn the Christmas tree on New Years Eve and have a wienee roast with smores.

 
At 11/28/2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Jonathon Morgan said...

Our holiday traditions are actually getting more normal this year. I've let Lady-A take over the decorating. Mostly because I never would've got around to doing it.

The compromise: if she decorates, we'll actually have something up before Christmas eve, but she's refused to indulge in my blinking, colorful, singing tacky style. Alas.

 
At 11/28/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

Aww, you guys sound like fun. My family is not really the playful type. I wish we had fun, quirky traditions. Nick and I will have to start some...

Well, I guess we have started one quirky tradition. Every year, Nick makes it his mission to create the tackiest tree possible. We're talking those jumbo, multi-colored lights, tinsel, and a cheap, flashy tree-topper. On our $20 Walmart fake tree.

 
At 11/28/2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your mouse story.

Not so much a weird tradition, but a long time ago my mom left the kettle on and it melted to the burner. There was a big chunk that looked like a big blob with a hook coming from the top that we used to hang on the tree. Sadly, we lost it years ago.

 
At 11/29/2006 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I freaking love your mousie tradition.

When I was a kid my dad used to sneak live rabbit into the house at Easter and tell us it was the easter bunny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home