Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Thin Line

Yesterday I had an experience that reinforced my view that there is a thin line between friendly and creepy. A very thin line.

I was (as I am embarrassed to admit) in the drive-thru lane for Taco Bell (aka Toxic Hell, which is what Aaron calls it) grabbing a quick, cheap lunch. When I got to the window to pay, the older guy working at the window was all smiles. Great big smiles. Great big sort of creepy, leery smiles. So I smiled back. I'm nothing if not polite.

When he handed me my change he was all smiles again. "Here's your change," he said.

"Thanks," I replied with a smile.

Then he went to hand me my food. "Any sauce today?" he asked.

"No, thank you."

"Alright then, you have a nice day."

"Thank you, you too," I replied with a smile.

"Oh, by the way," he said, "you have a really pretty smile."

"Thanks" I replied.

"Zoom" replied my car as I hightailed it the hell out of there.

He was just kind of creepy looking to begin with and the pretty smile remark sounded a bit too much like one of the best known quotes from this movie.

Yes. It is indeed a very thin line. And he definitely crossed it. **Shudder**

(As I read back over this, it seems like it may have been a "You had to be there" moment. But seriously. It was creepy.)

6 Comments:

At 11/08/2006 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kind of thought you were being a little harsh on the guy until you got to the pretty smile part. When is it appropriate for a drive-through guy to hit on customers?

 
At 11/08/2006 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I totally understand. Especially being pregnant, I am so suspicious of anyone who is overly interested in my belly - I'm convinced that someone is going to try to take my baby. There have been so many awful stories in the news about that in recent years. I just try to get away when someone is too interested.

And now I have that Deliverance banjo music in my head....

 
At 11/08/2006 10:30 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

sometimes it's just a gut feeling. you can't help how you react. if it creeped you out- it just did! if the guy was a looker though, would it have bothered you? wait. lookers don't work at taco bell. my bad. ;)

 
At 11/08/2006 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes...last time you go to taco bell, huh?

 
At 11/08/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

I once had a creepy Taco Bell experience, too! What is it with Taco Bell?

But I can't boycott them, because I'll totally admit that I have a thing for their Baja Chalupas with beans. Yum.

 
At 11/08/2006 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eww! Creepy! Don't go back. Run. Run far away. :) I have had moments like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home