Thursday, December 28, 2006

Forgetfulness is Costing Me

One of my worst traits is that I can be very forgetful. Many people see this as carelessness, and this bothers me, so I try to work on it. My forgetful nature drives Aaron nuts. He just doesn't see how someone can forget to do/bring/etc. so much. The saying, "She would forget her head if it weren't screwed on," definitely applies to me.

Sometimes I have a good stretch where I don't forget anything, and that makes me proud. Other times when my schedule gets thrown all out of whack, like it has been lately due to the holidays, I take a major step backwards and I forget just about everything. Here are a few examples over the past couple of days:

* I was supposed to work from home yesterday afternoon. I got everything packed up when it was time to leave, and left the one folder I really needed sitting on the table by my office door. Suffice it to say, I didn't finish what I needed to yesterday afternoon.

* I made a big fancy salad for dinner last night. I prepared it early so that I could watch Oprah without having to get up and start dinner. Then, after we were all done eating dinner I remembered that I had made a big fancy salad to go with our meal. Oops! Thankfully we had more than enough other food and weren't still hungry, but you would think that I'd remember making a salad that was supposed to be a big part of our dinner.

* I've been working on a crochet project for a co-worker's baby shower. I forgot where I was in a pattern and totally messed up a bunch of rows, costing me about thirty minutes worth of work. Grrr....

* I took pictures of said crochet projects, and some of my Christmas gifts, to post today and forgot to upload them, which would be necessary for, you know, posting them.

These are just a few examples of my annoying forgetfulness over the past couple of days. It's starting to really get on my nerves. I'm looking forward to when my schedule gets back on track after next week and then, hopefully, I'll start remembering things again.

5 Comments:

At 12/28/2006 10:43 AM, Blogger RichM said...

I get exactly the same way, and the spells last something like a week. I think it is when too many things are trying to fit in the forefront of the brain at one time, so some of the details get rubbed off, and things get done 80% or 90% of the way through but not all the way, just as you describe.

Yesterday I went on some appointments to look at some furniture work, nothing too demanding. Then, this morning, I was loading everything up into the vehicle and couldn't find my camera anywhere. Hmm, I'd received a voicemail from my last customer from yesterday, should I maybe return that call? Sure enough, he'd found the camera case sitting on the floor of his garage where I'd left it yesterday afternoon. I think I'd set it down there specifically to avoid scratching up the cabinet I had been inspecting at the time. It was that last 10% of the thing (picking up my camera bag) which I'd left off, once again.

I do think that getting back into a normal routine, without such interesting diversions as the holidays offer, will help.

 
At 12/28/2006 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay we are twins seperated a birth.
Is your birthday tomorrow?

Baking check
Forgetful check check

I haven't cooked in my kitchen in awhile but last month I made these great rolls to go with dinner and then forgot to put them on the table.
When I go run errans (I can't spell that word!!GHAGAKGJALGJALJAGASDJ@IO@&*) I have to write down EVERY SINGLE STOP or I will forget. Drive right by the bank with a fist full of money to deposit. Drives my husband NUTS!

 
At 12/28/2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Isabel said...

Dude, glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem!

(Can't wait to see the pictures...)

 
At 12/28/2006 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and me both. I posted on the wrong days this week because I forgot when I was scheduled. I'm blaming it on too much eggnog.

 
At 12/29/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm totally forgetful. That's why I'm The Queen of Lists. If it weren't for lists I'd be screwed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home