Friday, March 10, 2006

Grocery Store Encounters

Last night after work I stopped at the grocery store around the corner from my apartment to pick up some things I needed to make a dish for a work potluck today. This is not the store I normally shop at, but it is where I run when I just need a few things (like when I run out of milk). Every time I go to this store there is something there that makes me giggle, or at least strikes me as funny or weird.

Usually it's the guy who, every Saturday morning when I run out to get things for breakfast, is in line in front of me with two packs of Marlboro Reds, a bottle of Jack, and a two-liter of Coke. I've seen him there probably six or seven times. He seems to also know the cashier that works on Saturday mornings pretty well, so I assume this is his normal Saturday morning order. Looks like he has a fun Saturday, or at least it's a lively Saturday at the trailer park. (I know that's mean of me to assume, but, in my defense, he's normally dressed in Nascar gear and there is a trailer park across the street from the grocery store, so at least I have a basis for my assumption.)

Well, my encounter last night made me giggle and feel sorry for the guy in line in front of me, all at the same time. He had two items. A large box of Immodium AD and a pack of toilet paper. Looks like someone was having a bad day. He was really red in the face too, so I tried not to giggle because I could tell he was embarrassed.

He really didn't need to worry too much though, because I was pretending (fairly convincingly, I think) not to look at him and the cashier that was working refused to make eye contact, and instead was staring at the ceiling while talking to him. He did the same thing to me. Too weird.

You can be assured, however, that I told Aaron as soon as I got home and we had a good giggle over it. People watching is one of my favorite pastimes and I can always bet on a good people-watching experience at that store. It totally makes it worth going there.

3 Comments:

At 3/10/2006 1:57 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

oh no!
hee hee hee.

 
At 3/10/2006 2:25 PM, Blogger mamatulip said...

I think that guy with the toilet paper and the Immodium might have been my husband.

 
At 3/11/2006 5:10 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

My best grocery list was 9 months before Ella was born:

1 pregnancy test
1 mood ring
50 left over easter peeps (@.10/bx)
1 box of fiddle faddle
1 quart of chocolate milk

(That's how her baby book starts)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home