Thursday, June 29, 2006

Romance and Dogs?

As I mentioned yesterday, Aaron and I are taking a “romantic vacation” next week. We both need a break – Aaron from how crazy work has been, and me a break before work gets truly, mind-blowingly busy. So, we’re heading up north, spending a few days at a bed and breakfast and then coming back to spend the rest of the week and weekend hanging around our apartment, hanging out with friends, and doing some of our favorite things around town.

I really think it’s going to be wonderful.

One of the best things about where we’re going is the wine. You see, Michigan produces quite a bit of wine, and the biggest wine-growing region in the state is around Traverse City – right where we are headed. There are numerous wineries, all with tasting rooms, and we are going to definitely take advantage of that – probably each day we’re there because there are way too many places to visit for just one day.

Other highlights of the Traverse City area include great food, beautiful bay views, temperate weather, hiking trails, and we’ll be there just in time for the National Cherry Festival which is something I’ve always wanted to attend. I’m a little sad that we can’t stay longer for many reasons. First and foremost is that whenever I go up there I never want to leave, but there is another, slightly weirder reason I wish we could stay at least two days longer. On Friday of the Cherry Festival they have the Ultimate Air Dog competition . Have you ever seen this on ESPN? Aaron and I watch it whenever we catch it (along with all other weird sporting events on ESPN such as the “Strong Man Competition” and some Japanese obstacle course show that was on last weekend) because it is so much fun to watch the dogs run and jump, and it’s amazing how fast they can run and how high they can jump. We’re leaving the day before the event, so we’re totally going to miss it, but I may have to watch to see if it’s going to be there again next year and make plans to attend on the actual days it’s going on.

But, I guess jumping dogs don’t necessarily belong on a romantic vacation.

One more reason I’m excited to go up north? We’re staying in a bed and breakfast up the bay shore from Traverse City. I’ve always wanted to stay in a bed and breakfast and have yet to do so, and I’m really looking forward to it. Mostly to see what goes on in a bed and breakfast, because I think that’s going to be my retirement – living up north on the water, renting out rooms for incredibly high prices, and cooking breakfast (my favorite meal) for hundreds of people over time. That really sounds wonderful.

1 Comments:

At 7/01/2006 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been to one B&B, but it was awesome.

Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home