Tuesday, August 08, 2006

So, yeah, I threw a Bridal Shower this past weekend...

...and it went smashingly. Aside from being completely crazy that day and waking up at the butt-crack of dawn, everything turned out perfectly, even if I did break the cardinal rule of party-throwing. I used new recipes that I had never made before. Luckily they were pretty basic and so I wasn't too worried.

Everyone loved the favors I made, even though one woman said "Ew, I don't really like green tea" to the green tea that was inside. Tough, lady, it's free. Stop bitching. Here's what they looked like:

I was really happy with how well they turned out, and they were super easy to make.

Here's the spread we managed to put together, without me killing anyone (I get to be a little teensy bit of a control freak when planning a party, so woe to anyone who messes something up):

Everyone ate a ton, and drank almost all the punch, which seemed to be the biggest hit of the day. It's really easy, and delicious, and also another recipe that I didn't try before that day. The pie racks that I have the food on had to be fixed the day before the shower - they had each lost a leg that had to be welded back on. I think I got high from the fumes at the welding shop because I was not stressed out at all that night, just the next day.

I also made the tea-towel cake that I mentioned before. Here's a close-up of that, which I used as a centerpiece, and which was also my gift to K:


It took more towels than I had expected - I expected it to take 6, but ended up having to use 8. So she has a lot of tea towels, which is never a bad thing. It went together easily, and looked great (in my oh-so-humble opinion of course - gee I have no pride, do I?).

Now that the shower is over, we're planning the bachelorette party. It's going to be in less than two weeks. At my house. Yet another thing for me to fuss over for almost two weeks, and another opportunity for everyone to nickname me Martha, like they did this past weekend. And even though there are a lot of people out there who are not Martha fans? It made my day.

P.S. There are a few more pictures of the shower up on Flickr, if you're interested.

8 Comments:

At 8/08/2006 9:17 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Where did you find directions for the tea towel cake? I'm going to attempt a diaper cake in a month. I'm throwing a baby shower. I tend to be as much of a perfectionist as you are when I throw an event.

 
At 8/08/2006 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! I am looking for a punch recipe for the baby shower I am throwing this weekend. The recipe says the one you made makes 10 servings, but it looked like it filled the punch bowl. Did you have enough? Did you double it?

 
At 8/08/2006 12:11 PM, Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

Jenny - I couldn't find directions for the tea towel cake anywhere, so I just kind of read the directions for the "towel cake" that you can find on many sites and improvised. It's pretty easy.

Donna - I did double the recipe. I also used Earl Grey and Constant Comment for the teas (4 of each for the doubled recipe). It was delicious. There's also a lot of ice in there.

 
At 8/08/2006 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the tea towel cake. LOVE IT!

 
At 8/08/2006 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great decorations! You are so crafty! Am jealous!

 
At 8/08/2006 1:07 PM, Blogger JustJane said...

Don't worry I'll call you something else next week!

 
At 8/08/2006 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That tea towel cake is adorable.

The bachelorette party will be easy. Just feed everyone and apply alcohol.

 
At 8/08/2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Hey Martha!!! I love Martha!

The tea towel cake is adorable. You are so creative. The Love is Brewing idea was great also!!!

Just so you know I have the same problem when putting something together - becoming a bit of a control freak. I don't think I am too bad but others might argue. :)

Great job!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home