Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Last week Aaron came home with tickets to last night's Tigers/Twins game from one of his clients. So, of course, we went to the game last night. Besides the fact that the Tigers lost the game, it was pretty fun, although I don't know if we'd do it again anytime soon. Getting home at 12:30 on a worknight is just too late for us weaklings.

Of course, once again, I had as much fun paying attention to the crowd as I did to the game. The people seated behind us were also avid crowd-watchers, and so I got to enjoy their ongoing commentary too. Their best commentary was on the couple sitting in front of me that made out for eight straight innings. Seriously. It was gross. One of the first things Aaron taught me when we started dating is that you don't get all lovey-dovey at sporting events. That is, unless the "kiss cam" is pointed in your direction. Then it's fine to kiss, but otherwise, you're there to watch the game, so you'd better watch the damn game. When the couple left at the beginning of the 8th inning, the people behind me waited just long enough for them to be out of earshot before a barrage of comments they'd been holding in spilled forth.

"Wonder what they're going to do!"

"Ah, I remember when I was young, and the backseat seemed so large and inviting."

"There's no kissing in baseball!"

I was shaking with laughter, so the lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, "That was pretty bad, huh?" There was nothing I could do but agree. It was pretty bad, fairly disgusting, and not what I had come to watch. Aaron was so engrossed in the game that he (luckily) missed the spectacle these two were making. They were sitting right in front of me so I had to look over the making out to see the game. It was horrible.

A short time later, the guy behind me shouts out "Get that man a Bro!" and his brother yelled out "No, it's a 'Manziere'".

I love random Seinfeld-isms.

There was this guy running around without his shirt on, trying to get the crowd to do the wave, who really was in serious need of a "manziere".

So, we had fun, but we're exhausted today. I'm working from home this afternoon, and a nap is really tempting, but I really want to get this task out of the way (just so you know? Transcribing sucks.) so I can get more important stuff finished the rest of the week. So no nap for me. Just an early bedtime tonight.

1 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

I LOVE going to baseball games! I can't stand annoying fans - like the ones you had to look at. Last time we were at a Texas Rangers game we had living baseball almanacs behind us. They went on and on about the rules of the game, the uniforms, the stats, yada yada. (I love Seinfeld too!)

I think it is great that there were some others to chat and laugh about the couple in heat. At least then you didn't have to bother Aaron with it.

Butch can't stand it that I can watch the crowd and the game. It must be a woman thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home