Monday, October 16, 2006

Run

I'm a horrible runner. I'm not able to run very far at all without becoming seriously out of breath. I get horrible shin splints after I run. Aaron laughs at me when he sees me running - he says it's funny to see me try, and that I run like a girl. (I've got news for him: I am a girl. Thanks for noticing!) I think the longest I've ever successfully run was about 800 meters and that was when I was in 6th grade and was forced to be in a track meet. I'm definitely not fast, so they thought maybe I could do distance. I definitely proved them wrong. I'm just horrible at running.

But, I dream of running. I have dreams where I run for hours at a time. In these dreams I run everywhere. I run to my parents house 80 miles away without ever getting out of breath. I run to work in record time. I never stop running in these dreams, and it's the most fantastic, free feeling I've ever encountered. I wake up feeling incredible and relaxed, all because of running, which is something that stresses me out if I try it in waking life.

Maybe it's just because I've never stuck with it more than one day at a time every few months. Maybe if I really tried I could find that relaxing free feeling that comes with my running dreams.

So, starting in January I'm training for a 5K. I know that most people don't have to train for this kind of event, but I definitely will have to. Who knows, maybe I'll find that free feeling that I'm longing for and I'll start training for a 1/2 marathon after that. I'm kind of hoping that's what happens.

3 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 1:56 PM, Blogger Swampwitch said...

Congratulations! I'm so impressed. I can walk forever but I can NOT run. I get what I call a "catch" in my side under my ribs. I am so envious of people who can run. You go girl!

 
At 10/16/2006 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

didja see? alittlepregnant has some awesome links to running this week! Made me want to run. Which is saying a lot, because I have tried before and thought nothing would ever make me want to run again. Except maybe bears. If I were covered in honey.

 
At 10/16/2006 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I used to run cross country but I could barely make it around the block now.
If I woke up that relaxed after dreaming of running, I might just leave it at that ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home