Monday, October 23, 2006

Hardest Conversation To Not Laugh During, Ever.

What I want to know is, how old were you when you figured out how a library worked? I'm guessing I was probably 5, perhaps younger, but I'll stick with five. So this means I've known how a library works for approximately 22 years now. It doesn't take a genius IQ to figure this out does it? Because if it does, I'm apparently a genius.

Now, this is what brought this to mind today. I was having a conversation with an older woman, I'm guessing she's in her late fifties/early sixties, who has an advanced degree, and who I see a couple of times a week. She saw me reading a book and asked me if it was any good, and indicated that we seem to have the same taste in books. Then she asked me where I got it.

Me: The library.

Her: Oh, you go to the library? How often do you go?

Me: Every week or so.

Her: Well, how much do they charge per book?

Me: Um...nothing.

Her: Just the membership?

Me: Membership is free too.

Her: Wow! How many books can you take at a time?

Me: As many as you want, actually.

Her: And it's all free?

Me: Yes. They have free videos too, but they do charge late fees for those. Fifty cents a day.

Her: That's it? I'm going to have to check this library thing out!

Me: You do that.

Seriously. I had this conversation today. And the woman is definitely older than five. Maybe I'm just assuming "how libraries work" is common knowledge. I could be totally wrong about this, but I just can't imagine that there are a lot of people out there who don't get this.

6 Comments:

At 10/23/2006 2:16 PM, Blogger Isabel said...

Oh my gosh. This is so sad. I usually go to the library AT LEAST TWO TIMES A WEEK. And really, I do most of my library work online. I just have to go and actually pick up my "hold items" at the libarary.

And you know, I'm having a love affair with my local library and have for years. When I moved out here I even got my Seattle library card before I had my Washington state drivers licence.

Please let us know if this lady ever makes it to the library and what she thinks of it.

 
At 10/23/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

Whoa, that is scary. There are plenty of things that older people are allowed to not understand; the internet, debit cards, and Stephen Colbert spring to mind. It's hard to stay hip to everything. But geez...what planet is this woman from??

Well, at least she has something cool to look forward to. I'm sure it will blow her mind!

 
At 10/23/2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

it's a good thing she has an advanced degree. but, how did she ever figure out what college is? ;)

 
At 10/23/2006 4:35 PM, Blogger PreppyGirl said...

An advanced degree and never visited the library? Makes you wonder how she did her research in college (without the internet and all). Wow.

 
At 10/23/2006 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I had the same conversation a year or so ago! Immigrant is his excuse ;)

 
At 10/24/2006 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is how she got an advanced degree. Did her school not require research for a thesis?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home