Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bound to Happen

Last night Aaron went grocery shopping. I was at home waiting for him to return, and it just kept getting later, and he still wasn't home. About 30 minutes past when I was expecting him home, he finally called. He was running late because he had to put the spare tire on, because the left rear tire was completely flat. Great. I felt bad for him, because not only did he have to change the tire, but he had to do it in the rain and cold. Poor guy!

He took it in to get the tire fixed this morning, and unfortunately it can't just be patched. We need a new tire. Since the existing tires are almost in need of replacing, he just decided to buy four new tires, an unexpected expense that puts a real set-back in our savings plan. I mean, we do have the extra money and have budgeted for unexpected things like this, it just sucks when something like this happens.

And it happens every year at around this time. Last year it was the car accident. The year before that it was some unexpected wedding expenses. And the year before that it was Aaron losing his job. Since I've had this job, this is the month when I get my raise and bonuses (we get them really early for Christmas), so at least we have the extra money when we need it. I just wish it could either go to something fun (I would love to spend my bonus on a vacation some year) or into savings (where it was planned for this year, and where most of it will still go), instead of to whatever big expenditure fall brings us once again.

**************************************************************************
On a completely unrelated note, I seem to have, lately, an incredibly strong aversion to chicken (no, I'm not pregnant). The thought of eating chicken, touching chicken, or even really smelling chicken is really grossing me out. Usually this only happens with pork (which, still, unless it's in ham or sausage form, I really am not a big fan), but now it's happening with both pork and chicken. Aaron is not happy with this development because he likes his diet to be heavy in both, and gets a little testy if I go too many days without including some sort of meat in our meals.

So, unfortunately, tonight's planned dinner is chicken in order to appease him. But I told him that if he wants it, he's cooking it. He, unfortunately, agreed to this. I was hoping making him cook it would mean we wouldn't have to eat it because he wouldn't want to cook. That totally backfired!

5 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally hear you on the chicken thing!
i can't eat chicken if it's not deep fried and battered....and it must be boneless.

and i'm not pregnant either!

 
At 10/17/2006 10:33 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

my sis and her husband having different things they eat- he is wholly against any meat at all whereas she is a carnivore. they work it out. :)

it always happens that when you are riding high on some money something breaks.

 
At 10/17/2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing the right thing by PLANNING for unexpected things to come up!

Thats just part of life, but not nearly as much of a crisis as when we don't have any emergency savings!

 
At 10/17/2006 11:39 PM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Hee hee! I am sorry I am laughing. You just sounded like me kind of sort of hoping my plan would work with McD. It never seems to work, no matter what it concerns. But it is fun trying. I just re-read that and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I am just leaving it because I am tired and don't want to try to figure out what I am really trying to say. Understand any of that?

 
At 10/18/2006 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The strange thing I've noticed since getting pregnant is because my sense of smell has gotten so keen, all meat smells funky to me. So I keep freaking Jeff out by making him smell chicken and beef before I cook it. I'm convinced I'm going to poison us someday soon by serving us bad meat, but so far, it's been fine.

I'm sorry about your tires. Hopefully you can find a good deal on getting four. Maybe they'll give you some kind of break since you're buying so many? Have you thought about checking prices at Costco or Sams Club?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home