Thursday, October 05, 2006

I Love It When People Make Up New Words

Yesterday morning I was engaging in my usual ritual of watching the Today show while getting ready. Just as I was headed to turn off the television and head out, a person being interviewed stated that something was part of the "Oprah-fication" of America. I think the story was about how celebrities mess up and then in order to fix it all you hear about how they're headed to rehab, because apparently rehab fixes all of your problems.

Out of this whole thing, it was the word "Oprah-fication" that really stuck with me. Now, I'm a big Oprah fan and watch as often as possible, so I suppose I would know a little bit about this topic, and I don't see how people heading to rehab is due to "Oprah-fication". I can see how women wearing properly fitted bras and the perfect pair of jeans could be a result of the "Oprah-fication" of America. Also, I can see how people joining a boot-camp-type fitness program could be part of the "Oprah-fication" of America. People gathering to fight against child molesters could be an example of this, too. I can even see women joining together to read great fiction, and discuss it, being part of this "Oprah-fication" (seriously, how many times can I use this word? I think it's great!).

But going to rehab? To escape from your problems? I can see Oprah doing a show on this and calling people out on it, but I can't see it as being caused by Oprah. In fact, I would love to see how she lays into the people the story talked about, including Mel Gibson (she could have some choice words for him, for sure), and Mark Foley. Mark Foley especially, since he's like a two-for-one deal: heading for rehab after engaging in and admitting to some child-molester-like activities. Now, that would be a show to watch!

Mostly, I like that I have a new word to throw around: "Oprah-fication". Maybe it will replace my current love of words like "ersatz", "supposition", "generalizability" and "efficacious". I'm definitely going to have to find more uses for "Oprah-fication" and related contractions, such as: "This party is so not glam enough, so let's Oprah-fy this bitch! Break out the pomegranate martinis and the Rachel Ray appetizers! Where are my Jimmy Choos? And call up my new best friends (insert name dropping, such as Jennifer Aniston and Julia Roberts) to get this party started!"

5 Comments:

At 10/05/2006 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL

"Oprah for President" might just be next! LOL

 
At 10/05/2006 2:42 PM, Blogger Isabel said...

SPeaking of Oprah...did you see yesterday's about the people who failed at commiting suicide? FREAKY. I could only watch it for a second.

 
At 10/05/2006 2:43 PM, Blogger JustJane said...

I think you take a very optimistic view on Oprah Winfrey and that is why you would have a different definition of an “Oprah-fication” On the other side of the coin though, you reminded me of an article I read a few months ago and I went back and looked it up. Lee Sigel was the author and he said that Oprah “embodies America’s strengths and flaws”. He coined the word ‘Winfreyism’ as the “express of an immensely reassuring and inspiring message that has helped mills but is also an empty, cynical, icily selfish outlook on life that undercuts its own positive energy at every turn.”

I don’t catch her show that often and while I respect the work she has done a lot for the various charities and awareness for some noble causes, I can’t say I’m necessarily a fan. The ten minutes I saw of her season opener is one of the main reasons. I saw the part when they at a gas station and Oprah said she hadn’t done this since 1983. Immediately what flashed through my head were all the times I did see her show when she was telling the audience how she is down with the average woman. How can Oprah who understands the plight of the every day woman not pump her own gas? Does she buy her own bread, cook her own meals, and wipe her own ass? Can she relate? Really?All excellent questions and all probably answered with a big, fat no. The favorite things episode is another instance when it becomes blindingly clear this woman lives on another plane of existence. She usually says she owns one in every color of every sweater or silk table linen that is presented and says it's a perfect buy for the holidays. Then cut to me sitting on my couch at home equating buying this must have gift to the total cost of all the gifts I can afford to buy this year. Usually her one item equates my whole budget.

This dichotomy would be the oprah-fication or the winfrey-ism.

 
At 10/06/2006 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me a little sick. Oprah gets on my nerves to begin with because I think she's way too drunk on her own power. This is just what we need to push her ego right over the edge.

 
At 10/06/2006 1:20 PM, Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

I'm thinking maybe I wasn't clear on the sarcasm, especially in the last part. I think the whole thing is a little ridiculous and was trying to make fun of it (especially the jimmy choo/name dropping part). Don't know why I'm defending myself, but thought I would make that a little clearer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home