Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wendy's Thinks We're Stupid

I have recently come across something that really has started to annoy the hell out of me. It could just be me being annoying and putting to much thought into something, but seriously. It's annoying however you look at it.

Have you seen those Wendy's commercials where they're touting their 99 cent menu? The one where this guy gets something bought for $9,000,000 and he and his two friends are like "That's 3,000,000 Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers each! Before taxes!"

I don't know where they learned how to do math, but $9,000,000 will buy you 9,090,909 of something that costs 99 cents each, and that's a good 90,909 more than they state in the commercial. However, there are taxes, and so if you got $9,000,000 (and didn't have to pay any taxes on that - which is so not likely), then in Michigan, which has a six cent sales tax, you'd get about 8,571,428 of something that had a 99 cent price tag, which is almost 500,000 less than they tell you in the commercial. That's all a big difference, no matter how you look at it.

When did society get so lazy that they think that the extra cent that makes 99 cents into a dollar doesn't matter? Like I said, this could just be me being annoying or a giant dork (quite likely), but it just annoys the crap out of me.

So, that being said, what commercials annoy you so much that you want to smack the person that made it every time you see it? Or am I alone in the "being really freaking annoyed at commercials" camp?

9 Comments:

At 10/11/2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This, my friend, is why you need tivo.

I don't even know what commercial you're talking about. And for that I'll go kiss my tivo box on its little head.

 
At 10/11/2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Oh Jenny, you miss some really good commercials though. I will have to think about the annoying ones and get back to ya. I don't know if you have Sonic's there. I was gonna post on this and still might. But there is a hilarious Sonic commercial about blogging. I can't find it anywhere on the net. I wish they would put it on here somewhere. It is hilarious. I laugh out loud every time.

 
At 10/11/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Steph said...

As a math minor, I'm with you all of the way. I hate how society thinks they have to dumb everything down for us. We're not THAT stupid. Ok, so maybe about some things we are...

 
At 10/11/2006 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only seen that commercial once, and it annoys the crap out of me - and that was before I even thought about the math side of it.

I really hate the Subway commercial with the fat wallet guy. "Everytime we go to Subway and save money, his wallet just gets fatter!" You may be saving money, but Subway would have to be GIVING you money to make your wallet fatter. And last I checked, Subway doesn't pay people to eat their sandwiches (although I would definitely eat there all the time if they did).

 
At 10/11/2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

there was math involved in this post so i didn't really get it. ;)

 
At 10/11/2006 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The commercial that annoys me the most are the Energizer bunny ones... Annoying as shit, and they've been running them about as long as the bunny has energy! LMAO

 
At 10/11/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger PreppyGirl said...

I H-A-T-E those Wendy's ads. I'm sure Dave Thomas is rolling over in his grave every time they play one. :)

 
At 10/11/2006 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three words - Audrey Hepburn Gap.

On the other hand I LOVE the Xerox commercial with the copy cat that shows the cat painting a pie chart. It makes me giggle every time.

 
At 10/11/2006 9:20 PM, Blogger Nicole P. said...

There is a carpet store commercial that plays in the Chicago area and the jingle they sing to force the telephone number into our psyche is like nails on a chalkboard to me. For that sole reason, I no longer have the news on in the morning as I get ready for work...because it is on every major channel during every commercial break.

Thank god for my ipod to entertain me as I get ready!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home