Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fin, Finire, Over

Today is the last day of NaBloPoMo. It's been fun, but I'm kind of looking forward to not posting on the weekend, especially as I'll be out of town at my parents' house again. But! I've saved the best topic for last. I have quite the issue for you all today. Are you ready for it? It starts with this confession:

Aaron and I don't pass gas in front of each other.

We've been together going on six years, and we still don't pass gas in each other's presence. Okay, I should clarify that. We try not to pass gas in front of each other. Sometimes one slips out and we can't help it, but, for the most part, we leave the room or something if we're gassy.

I've told a couple of people this lately and they couldn't believe it. A coworker admitted that her husband saves them for her and lets them loose, saying, "Take a listen to this, why don't you," or something similar. Another friend last night said her boyfriend farted in front of her on the first day they knew each other. The other guy at the table passes gas regardless of who is around, so I know that he and his girlfriend don't have this issue. But Aaron and I are reserved in this area, despite how gassy one of us is on a regular basis (the one that is not him has this problem a lot).

I don't know how I'd feel about this if Aaron weren't so insistent on not passing gas in front of me. Would I feel freer if he felt free to let it rip whenever, wherever? Or would I still feel uptight and embarrassed about having gas? Bigger question for the parents out there: do you think we'll get over it when we have a kid? I think that might be the cure to this little problem.

Although, I guess it's not really a problem. As the friend last night was talking about it, she said her boyfriend not only passes gas in front of her, but will do things like fart on her, or the never-expected-or-wanted dutch oven. I'm glad I don't have to deal with these things with Aaron. It's kind of nice not to have to worry about the sneak attack in this particular area that some of my friends admit to having to deal with.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty pleased with this set-up.

6 Comments:

At 11/30/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

We are the same way!

God, it felt so good to admit that. We don't fart in front of one another, we don't pee with the door open...I mean, I still feel guilty sometimes when my hair is unwashed or I don't have make-up on.

Yay! I feel not like a crazy prude anymore. It's just tactful, I think. And we've also managed to keep it this way for almost six years, so I think we have a fighting chance of remaining fart-witnessing-free forever.

 
At 11/30/2006 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't in front of him
he TOTALLY does in front of me.

 
At 11/30/2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

that's very polite of the both of you.

 
At 11/30/2006 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to keep it to a minimum, and i recently had to remind him that it might be good to at least try not to let out loud stinky farts around me all the time. For me, it's kind of like the issue of peeing with the door open (or worse -- when the other person is actually in the bathroom). I just don't think we need/want to be that comfortable around each other.

Much as I love my husband, farting grosses me out, and gross is not romantic. So when I ask him not to do it around me on a daily basis, all I'm trying to do is keep the romance alive.

 
At 11/30/2006 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay don't start it. We are farters. My whole family. Wake up in the morning and fart fart fart all the way home. I tell ya what It's awful.

My friend doesn't fart OR poop when her husband is in the house. My husband and I do anything we feel like. Sometimes I wish we had not gotten so comfortable with each others bodies and their functions because it does take out the romance at times.

Maybe we are preparing ourselves for someday when we are old and fart and poop at will, without being able to hold back. This way we won't be embarressed. We'll know what it's like already.

 
At 12/02/2006 3:20 PM, Blogger Maya said...

I have to say: I never 'got' bathroom humour until I was married. Poots happen. In our house, they happen a lot. Oddly enough, I really NEVER tooted very often until after I was married. We have a tiny house with one bathroom and both work at home, and someone who is not me OFTEN goes pee with the door open.

Sadly, I have not gone in that room 'solo' since we got our cat - he's very insistent that he be able to check out the goings-on at all times. Privacy is a thing of the past. Siiigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home