Monday, January 22, 2007

Double the Pain

I had to change the channel after about 45 minutes of American Idol the other night because it was just too painful to watch. I can't handle watching people doing something that, if not embarrassing to them, is definitely embarrassing to me. It was the Seattle night, and there were those two friends who definitely weren't going to Hollywood - the little guy with the huge eyes who thought he was a member of N'Sync, and his more rotund, Hawaiian-shirt-wearing friend. They were both painful to watch, and then Simon made it worse by making fun of the way they looked.

This has become a big deal apparently. Yes, I agree with many, that this is a singing competition, and that if Simon didn't have anything nice to say about other aspects (no matter their importance) he shouldn't have said anything at all.

Well, those two friends were just on the Today show this morning, and it was painful and embarrassing all over again. Good public speakers, they are not. Definitely not. I had to mute it because I was cringing so much. I can understand (maybe) starting a dialog about this, but giving these guys additional minutes of fame? I don't think it's necessary. But, after giving William Hung way more than his 15 minutes, should I really expect anything else?

2 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

I haven't seen Idol this season, so I missed all the fuss. I know what you mean, though, about being embarrassed for other people. Some of those Today interviews are so cringe inducing...the ones where they basically have to prompt every answer.

 
At 1/22/2007 4:23 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

i wonder if these guys know they are being made fun of? i wouldn't want to be made fun of! i cringe too but i still watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home