Thursday, January 18, 2007

Wrong. Just, Wrong.

Yesterday at work I had to call a woman who works at a nursing home. I called said nursing home to reach her, and the receptionist put me on hold while the woman I needed to talk to was being paged. At first I wasn't really paying attention to the ads that were being played in place of hold music, but then one caught my ear:

"Our cremation services are friendly and affordable!"

Really? What if I were a person who was calling the home because my loved one was on their deathbed? What if my loved one had already died? While I was mostly shocked and amused, someone else could have been offended or gotten really upset.

Maybe they should reconsider who they sell ad space to. I mean, I know that death is an inevitability, and the likelihood that people in the nursing home will die before me is high, but do I really need to think about that while I'm on hold? Especially when it's an upbeat, happy ad, which promises me they'll take care of my loved one on the cheap?

I don't think so.
**************************************************************************
I have a choice to make, and since my husband's habits are rubbing off on me and I'm no longer quite as impulsive as I used to be, I'm doing some research on my choices. This is where you all come in. I need some opinions or information on your experience.

I want to get a new magazine (big decision, no? I'm so lame). I think I've narrowed my choices down to two: O Magazine (Oprah's magazine) or Real Simple. So, do you read either of these two on a regular basis? Which do you think will be more useful and entertaining? I thought about getting Martha Stewart Living, but decided against it for two reasons; 1) been there, done that; and 2) already get Everyday Food, and so I don't want all my periodical reading to be of the Martha Stewart persuasion.

So what do you think? Which of those two should I choose? Or am I totally missing the boat on some other great magazine?

(I should also mention that I just ended subscriptions to Cosmo, Gourmet, and Cooking Light, so I'm not interested in any of those.)

5 Comments:

At 1/18/2007 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's your anonymous delurker...just wanted to weigh in on the magazine thing. I definitely recommend Real Simple over O. RS is something you will look forward to every month, O is okay and sometimes I buy it at an airport if there is nothing else good. But RS is more practical for monthly reading. I just got my Feb issue and I devoured it already! I ended my subscription to Cosmo about a year ago, isn't it weird when yoou realize how you have outgrown it?? Okay well sometimes at the nail salon I can't resist taking a peek...Have a great day! Anne

 
At 1/18/2007 10:37 AM, Blogger Sarah Barah said...

I subscribe to Real Simple and read O from time to time at the doctor's office. My husband will read RS, but would probably not touch O with a ten foot pole (not exactly an Oprah fan). And I keep the old issues for reference... but never seem to go back to them. It's a little ironic when I realize that the magazine to simplify my life causes so much clutter around the house.

 
At 1/18/2007 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real Simple is my husband's favorite magazine. (I know - turn in your man card, right?) Except he really wishes they made one without so many makeup and purse and clothing articles. He just wants the parts about cooking and organizing. I really like it.

Plus, Oprah kind of scares me lately.

 
At 1/18/2007 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a magazine reader, but your nursing home story reminded me of a similar story that I have about a funeral home that's on the highway between my parents' house and my grandma's house. The sign for said funeral home has a cut out of some mountains that are back-lit ... in red. Now, I'm sure the funeral home was going for some kind of "sunset" feel, but to me the only thing that sign says is "Welcome to our funeral home! We're here to help you deliver your loved ones to the firey mountains of hell!"

 
At 1/18/2007 12:24 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

I'd lean toward choosing Real Simple, but that may just be because I don't like the idea of fueling the Oprah Empire. Doesn't she put herself on the cover of every single issue? But honestly I have no idea about the content; it may be awesome.

I've recently become hooked on Lucky magazine. I never buy any of the exact items that they feature (usually too pricey for me), but it's great for inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home