Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Revisiting the Past (few entries)

Well, I'm back at work after a 4-day weekend and a sleepless night. We'll see how that whole "work harder at work" resolution goes. I'm hoping well, but I'm not holding my breath.

I didn't get the afghan done in time for my co-worker's baby shower tomorrow. I kind of bummed that I didn't get it done, but also kind of relieved because there's this one wonky corner of the blanket that looks really bad, and I think I'm just going to have to call this one a practice blanket and give it to any future daughters I may have to use for their dolls.

This past weekend I made ice cream using the ice cream maker I got as a Christmas present from my parents. Or, should I say, I attempted to make ice cream. It kind of turned out, but I had the mixture too cold when I put it in the machine so it froze too fast, and we're not fans of the recipe I tried. One of our favorite desserts is banoffee pie, which is a really, truly delicious recipe. We bought an ice cream cookbook last weekend, and one of the reasons we chose this cookbook was because it had a recipe for banana toffee (or banoffee) ice cream in it, and as soon as we saw it, we were sold. Maybe we should have tried something else first, because the recipe created ice cream that is just way too banana-y to eat. I'm going to try a different recipe (vanilla honey) this weekend. I really hope this one goes better.

I was much less forgetful over this past weekend, however, that could just be because I infrequently had my rear off the couch. Well, no, I take that back. I was much less forgetful over the past day or so.

On Saturday morning I decided to try a recipe for German Pancakes I saw over at Deb's site, and totally messed it up at first. You see, there's 2/3 cup of milk in that recipe, which I forgot to add. I made the batter, sans the milk, and poured it into the pans, and then luckily I glanced back at the recipe. I then poured the batter back into the blender, mixed in the milk, and repoured it into the pans. They turned out wonderfully, were completely delicious, and Aaron told me I could make them every day if I wanted to. Also, looking back at the forgetfulness entry, I realize that we forgot about the salad I made again, when we could have eaten it all weekend long. I'm fairly disappointed that we just wasted about $5 in produce. Way to go us!

4 Comments:

At 1/03/2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

It's too bad that banana toffee ice cream recipe didn't turn out well; it sounds so delicious!

I'm excited because while I'm generally not a huge cook, I copied a lot of my mom's recipes while I was home, and I can't wait to test them myself. And I found a great used book store and bought a few non-intimidating cookbooks to try. So maybe I'll spend some more time in the kitchen!

 
At 1/03/2007 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.... homemade ice cream sounds so good. Can I put in my vote for peach? Or bluberry! Or peach cobbler would be good too...

Happy New Year and good luck with the resolutions!

 
At 1/03/2007 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see the rolls I made? I have pictures up at my blog!! They are so good.

This weekend is the cream filled log thingy that you make which I can never remember the name of. I'll post pictures of that also.

 
At 1/03/2007 6:12 PM, Blogger Eris said...

Thank you for clueing me in on Okema! I am avoiding people in Michigan so I was worried...

Do you suppose that there is a reason why you are forgetting your salads? Perhaps you need to spice them up a bit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home