Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Come on...don't you want to rain on my parade too?

Here's what I was going to post today (but couldn't because freakin' work has increased controls on the internet so I can no longer post from work. GAH!):

Today I am going to admit what a dork I am. I’ve known for quite some time that I am in fact quite a dork, but I’ve been living in denial. Now I’m over the denial and ready to let you all in on the secret.

You see, tonight I am taking a crocheting class. That’s not the dorky part; at least not according to me. Aaron thinks that definitely qualifies me as a dork. In fact when I signed up for the class, he said “I didn’t know I was married to an old woman”. Then I made fun of him playing video games all the time and we were even. The dorky part is how excited I am about this class.

I talked about it multiple times on my business trip last week. I had a long conversation about crocheting with my mom over the weekend. This morning I sprung out of bed, excited that today was the day. I am going to learn how to crochet. Woohoo!

This class is part of my “Get Off My Butt” campaign, because I’m tired of my normal routine: Get up, go to work, come home, cook dinner, plant butt in front of the television, go to bed. I’m really, incredibly tired of that routine. So, I decided to take a class to ease some of the boredom.

I have been taking yoga, but that’s just one night a week and after I get home I just plant my butt in front of the television yet again. Then, when I was in JoAnn’s a few weeks back, looking for something to occupy my time, I saw the list of classes they were offering. As I looked over the list, I thought, “Well, calligraphy would be fun, but that’s only one session. Ooh, I could take a sewing class. Wait, I already know how to sew. Cake decorating? Eh, maybe. I’m horrible at that already. OMG THERE’S A CLASS FOR CROCHETING!” And I'm sure everyone can guess what happened next: I signed up right then and there. The class only lasts for two weeks, but I will learn all the basics so that I can make other things after I finish the class.

So yes, I’m a dork. I don’t know many other people who would be this excited about learning how to make an afghan, but I am pumped. I am embracing my complete dorkiness. I cannot wait until tonight!

***************************************************************************

So, yes. That was all very exciting, no? Can you feel the incredibly exciting anticipation I was feeling? Yeah. Then the teacher didn't show up. So? I'm a lot pissed off right now. Luckily Aaron made me a large margarita when I got home, so I'm enjoying that and it's slowly melting away the pissed-ness. But really? I'm really pissed. They didn't even call me to let me know that they hadn't been able to get in touch with the teacher - they just left a message on her machine letting her know that I had signed up for the class and left it at that. Way to run a business, JoAnn's. I won't be signing up for classes there again. GAH!

***************************************************************************

On a completely different note, I need your opinions. I finally bought an outfit for my brother's wedding last weekend, but I need shoes. I bought this skirt (but the one I bought is a pale blue, but of course they don't have a picture of THAT COLOR ON THEIR WEBSITE. (Sorry for the yelling. This just isn't my day.) I bought the "Essential Sleeveless Wrap Shirt" in "New Navy" from Express to go with it (but of course, of course the Express website doesn't have a direct link to it). It's very 50's house-wife, especially since I'm going to wear my pearls with it. So here's the deal. Which shoes would you choose?

I bought these shiny khaki colored espadrilles:


(That's the skirt right to the right of the shoe. So I guess you do get to see the color. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Must be the margarita's influence.)





Then there's also these, which are also pretty, but I'm not sure how well they'll match the skirt. But so pretty!:













Then, there's these, because I was considering cream-colored shoes in the first place:












These were the shoes that I tried on with the skirt at the store that I love, but which are too high and which would cause me to break my ankle, so they're out. But I still thought I'd show them to you because they're so pretty and they made my calves look so thin!


















So, yes. Which would you pick? Also, contrary to what the title of this post says, please don't rain on my parade today. I'm kind of pissy and bitchy and would probably write you a mean email if you did. Or at least cry about it a little bit because I'm kind of a wuss.

6 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Sizzle said...

i'd go with the first or second shoe choice depending on if the blues match or blend. i think the third is out because of possible injury and the last ones seem to casual to go with pearls. unless you want to downgrade the jewelry.

but that is just me. :)

and that place blows for not calling you to cancel! jerks! i love to knit so i know how it is to get excited to learn something and have it fall through so miserably.

drink another margarita.

hang in there.
:) S

 
At 5/23/2006 11:44 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

When I got pregnant I crocheted a blanket for the baby and Dan said "We've been married for 8 years! I never knew YOU could tie knots into actual things!" and I replied "There's alot you don't know about me."

Oh yeah, I was so mysterious and sexy with my crochet hook and yarn.

I vote for the blue mules – they are very 50s and the wedge is a very 60s thing in my mind. I don’t think they even have to be the exact same color – they can just be the same hue and still go together. And they look comfy enough to dance in.

 
At 5/24/2006 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for shoe #1 if you feel like being traditional or shoe #2 if you feel like being fun and flirty. Can you tell that emotions drive every decision I make? Ha!

I crochet, and I really enjoy it. Since I know a gazillion pregnant women right now, I've been crocheting baby blankets like there's no tomorrow. I really enjoy making things for other people. My husband also makes fun of me for being a little old lady, but I just remind him that however old I am, he'll always be four years older!

 
At 5/24/2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to blue one - they are too cute!

I need a hobby to but I am the queen of buying all the stuff to do said hobby and then never doing anything with it (i.e. I spent over $100 on scrap booking stuff and just threw it all away). I hope you don't give up on it yet!

 
At 5/24/2006 11:50 AM, Blogger Paige said...

So, I like the strapy blue or the strapy white ones. I LOVE the top ones but not with that skirt. And the bottom pair of shoes...I loved them so much I bought them. I haven't broken my neck yet, and I'm super clumsy. they're actually pretty comfortable.

And I've croceheted (sp) for years. My hubby thinks it's cool. It gives me something to do so I'll leave him alone to screwwithhiscomputer/playvideogames/work in the garage etc. It's easy you dont' need a class, just get one of those crocheting for beginners books. I can't remember the name of the one I got but it was very easy to understand. (It's great when those babies start popping up. Just crochet a little blanket for them. The parents think it's so sweet and you think it's so cheap. :) hehe)

 
At 5/24/2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say go with the third pair (cream strappy). Have you considered something in pink? Or green? Both would look nice with an outfit that combines shades of blue. I love that last pair of sandals. Off the website to see if I can fit them in the budget . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home