Thursday, August 31, 2006

Youthful Milestones

This morning I was talking with some co-workers about things we did when we were growing up. One of them has a nine-year-old daughter, so she was asking us when we did certain things or reached certain milestones. That got me thinking a lot about when I was little, and how bad I wanted to be a teenager. But I also had really strict parents and was sort of a late bloomer, so I did things a lot later (at least in my opinion) than most people.

So I have a few questions for you all, and I thought this could be a fun little trip down memory lane. These questions are mostly for the ladies, because that was my experience.

1. How old were you when you got to shave your legs for the first time?

I think I was in seventh grade, and I got to shave them for the first day of school. I had wanted to shave my legs for ages, but my mom wouldn’t let me. She finally caved for the first day of school when I told her my best friend Molly got to shave her legs. I was so excited and spent hours trying to get every last hair off my legs. She would only let me use an electric razor because she didn’t want me to cut myself. I think I wore my shortest pair of shorts that first day of school to show off my newly hairless legs.

2. How old were you when you were allowed to wear makeup?

This also happened in seventh grade for me. My mom doesn’t wear makeup, so she wasn’t big on me wearing it, but I LOVE makeup and always have. I snuck it out of the house to put on in the school bathroom before classes started for a few years before I was technically allowed to wear it. In October of my 7th grade year I switched schools and decided to really do myself up for the first day at my new school. I was wearing a yellow sweater, so I decided on yellow eye shadow and bright pink lipstick. When I think about that now, I’m thinking maybe my mom should have had someone teach me about how to put on makeup before I was allowed to go out of the house, so I didn’t end up looking like a Frankenhooker. (thanks for that great word, MamaTulip)

3. How old were you when you got your first period?

It seems like girls keep starting this younger and younger. I was almost 14 before I got mine, and was so excited that I ran out to the car when my mom got home to tell her. Now, I could totally do without it and be just fine.

4. How old were you when you went on your first date?

I was 15 and it was quite the battle to be able to go on this date. It was homecoming my sophomore year, and I was asked to go to the dance by a guy I really liked. My mom caved right away, but my dad was a harder sell. My mom overruled his “no” and I went. And it was a great time.

5. How old were you when you had your first kiss?

I was also 15 for this. The same boy who asked me to homecoming took me to a “Haunted Forrest” around Halloween that year. He kissed me while we were waiting in line to go in, and I was so excited I couldn’t stand it. I had been waiting what seemed like forever to have my first kiss. After that, of course, we made out like mad any time we got a chance.

6. How old were you when you got your first bra?

I think I was about 15 for this too. I didn’t really need it until I was about 17 though, but I was dying to get one because everyone else had one. Now I wish I had the problem I had when I was 15, because now I have to wear one and I hate them.

Okay, now it’s your turn. Go ahead and answer in the comments section or on your own site and leave a link in the comments. I’m curious to see if I really was as late of a bloomer as I thought I was, or if everyone else was more like me.

7 Comments:

At 8/31/2006 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... that is a fun one!

1. I think it was the summer before 7th grade that I shaved my legs for the first time. I wasn't necessarily allowed to, I just did it with my dad's razor, and I never heard a word about it so I kept on.

2. I was allowed to wear makeup in 7th grade as well. And like you, I would sneak it out of the house and put it on at school probably starting in 5th or 6th. That sounds so bad now, to think of a 5th grader in makeup. Yuk. And I was a big fan of the Barbie look - blue lids, pink cheeks, red lips.

3. I was so early on this. I was 11, in the 6th grade. And for me 6th grade was still in elementary school, where you still line up and go to the bathroom at set times of the day. It was awful.

4. I was 14 when I went on my first car date. I guess I had gone to dances and such before that, but it was always a parent driving so nothing interesting could happen. But my first car date was very exciting - to the Sadie Hawkins dance at my school with a guy from my Catholic church youth group. Clark.... I loved Clark!

5. Again, looking back, I think it was way too young, but I was 13. Sadly, I felt like I was the last person at the time. His name was Jeff and he was friends with my friend's boyfriend. One night when she was sleeping over and my parents had gone out, the boys came over. I remember being really nervous and my friend telling me how to do it before they got there. So silly.

6. Damn, this is reminding me what an early bloomer I was. I got my first bra the week after my 10th birthday. I was the only girl in 5th grade that fall with a bra. It was humiliating. But I guess it's gotten me used to them, because I am not one of those people who hates to wear one. I will only wear underwire bras and they just don't bother me. I can even sleep in a bra with no problem.

 
At 8/31/2006 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! You're welcome. :)

1. I really don't remember, but I remember my mom showing me how to do it and my armpits. And I was nervous that I might cut myself.

2. I really wasn't that interested in wearing makeup. I wore lipgloss and stuff but really didn't pile it on. I think I started in around grade 7 or 8.

3. I think I was 13.

4. Fifteen. I'll never forget it. I ended up dating the guy for over a year.

5. I think I was in grade 4 or 5. It was in my backyard and I thought his mouth tasted like eggs.

6. I really don't remember.

 
At 8/31/2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

I will take these questions and add another round to my You Asked posts. How is that? (I am in class and don't have time to answer.) Heehee

 
At 9/01/2006 1:44 PM, Blogger MandaCakes said...

OoOoOoo...Gimme some time and I will throw my answers to your questions on my site! I have to run in a few minutes, but I really like these questions!

 
At 9/01/2006 6:43 PM, Blogger Eris said...

1. 13
2. 13
3. 12 (one month befoe 13)
4. Officially sanctioned by parents? 16ish. Not officially? 14.
5. 14, and the SOB stole it from me! bastard!
6. 11ish. didn't do anything. stil doesn't. I never really got boobs.

I love the updated template.

 
At 9/02/2006 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I think it was 5th or 6th grade. I remember sometime during one of those years being absolutely mortified at school when I was wearing a tank top and my friend told me I had hairy armpits. So I went home and convinced my mom to teach me how to shave. I was super lazy about shaving my legs though - it seemed like so much effort at the time. I probably started shaving regularly around 7th grade.
2. I have no idea. My mom doesn't wear makeup either so I had never thought it was that important (I still don't wear much). Probably sometime in Jr. High was the first time I wore makeup to school.
3. 12
4. Well, if you count that pretend "going out" thing kids did in elementary school, I would have to say I was in 6th grade. My "boyfriend" and I did actually go ice skating - unsupervised! - together one time. My first date with a real boyfriend was when I was 16. We went to a baseball game with his parents and held hands in the back seat of the car on the drive home.
5. 16 also. Not long after the baseball game. (But his parents weren't present for that one!)
6. I don't remember. 5th or 6th grade I think. I hit puberty pretty early, which wouldn't have been so bad if not for the acne. Acne in elementary school is never a pleasant thing.

Also, I love the new look of your site.

 
At 9/03/2006 1:51 PM, Blogger Teacher lady said...

This is really interesting. I was also a "late" bloomer. In fact, I asked my mom for a "training bra" when I was in eighth grade (I think I was the ONLY girl in my grade who didn't have one) and she said, "For what?" She bought me a "camisole" when I was a freshman in high school and all it did was make my clothes lumpy. Still don't really need a bra. (Sigh.) Also was one of the last people I knew to get my period - it was January of my freshman year of high school and I was 14. First date? 15. We went to a religious rock opera thing called Tetelestai (sp?) Boy, were we crazy. I was such a dork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home