Friday, August 18, 2006

Never a Dull Moment Around Here - Part II

So, two weeks ago there was a shooting right down the street from my apartment, which drew attention away from me telling you all about the fabulous bridal shower I threw that weekend. Today I was going to tell you about the fabulous bachelorette party I'm throwing this weekend (which will not include the bride making out with a random guy out for his bachelor party), but my plans have been foiled once again. Seriously! People need to stop shooting other people in my neighborhood!

So yeah, two weeks ago, the guy was killed in the apartment down the street. Within a week they had arrested the guy who did it. Here's the lowdown (in case you were curious): The guy who was killed knew the people who killed him. They had come to his girlfriend's apartment, where he was living, to rob him. They ended up holding both of them at gunpoint (the girlfriend's relatives report that they held a gun to her head during the entire thing), robbing them, and then killing the guy. I don't think this guy was up to any good to begin with, but he certainly didn't deserve that.

The weirdest thing about the whole situation is that there was a "For Rent" sign out in front of the building within a week. Don't think I'll be renting that one, thanks.

So, the whole thing has been pretty much forgotten in the neighborhood. People were back out walking in the evenings at dusk, and going about their lives as normal. Then yesterday, someone in our neighborhood got shot again.

The news reported that a shooting had occurred in our town, and named a street. "Hmm," I thought to myself, " I don't know that street. It must be far away from here." Yeah, no such luck. If you go to the corner where the last guy was shot, hang a right and then a left at the second street (less than a 1/2 mile from my door) you're right there. On that street. Right near my house again.

This guy didn't die, but he was having surgery yesterday due to several non-life-threatening wounds. Yeah, that's right. I said several. Great. I'm thrilled, can you tell?

We now live in a suburb of the big town where we used to live. We moved because the crime was spreading into our area. Obviously we didn't move far enough (we're only about 4 miles from our old place) because now it's spreading down here too. I'm still not feeling to scared about it all, but it is definitely weird, especially since in my hometown there has been one murder in the past 15 years. Come to think of it, it was in the apartment complex where I used to live. Weird. I think I need to choose better places to live, apparently.

3 Comments:

At 8/18/2006 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, I think it's getting to be that way everywhere. But the good news is, most crime is still not random so as long as you're not involved in nefarious activities, you're still pretty safe overall.
Also, don't discount the fact that 24/7 news makes us much more aware of stuff that has probably always been going on.

 
At 8/18/2006 5:29 PM, Blogger Eris said...

Eh. There are stabbings and shooting in my neighborhood all the time. I still go jogging. Not at 3am, obviously, but you know, I can't be a shut in here.

Though, odd, why are the shootings following you?

 
At 8/19/2006 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Jessie!

thanks for stopping by and my god! woman, stay away from flying bullets-- yikes. But seriously, scary.

~bluepoppy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home