Tuesday, September 12, 2006

For Pete's Sake!

So a while back I wrote about how much I hate jury duty, because I always get stuck serving, and I always mess it up. Well, hey. Guess what. I got called to serve! Of course I did.

I got a summons on Saturday for U.S. District Court. I have to serve from October 2nd to the 20th. That's one long time to serve! Gah! I just hope that if I'm seated on a jury that it's early on in the period so then I can be done with it.

The summons also said that on my first day I should expect to stay the entire day - 8 to 5. Can I tell you that I don't even work that long most days? Of course, this month I'm working longer than that, but that's my own fault. I'm thinking about sending them an email to try to get out of it, using the fact that I'm hellishly busy at work next month too, to get out of serving. My luck? They'll say "tough".

What makes it even worse? I think they're going to call me in for sure because I only live 9 miles away from the court, while the district covers the entire west side of the state and the Upper Peninsula, and so some people called may live over 300 miles away. I'm sure that they'll keep that in mind when they decide who to have come in. Damnit.

4 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave got called to jury duty for the first time ever a little while ago. He thought it was kind of cool until he realized that he doesn't get paid for the time he has to take off of work. And when he sat back and thought about that, how he's the only one making any money in this house because I get paid in poop and love, he realized that wasn't so great. So he called the courthouse and they waived him because he's the sole provider for his family.

Yeah...not sure where I'm going with this, lol...just felt compelled to share. :)

Bring a book! I've heard the first day is a LONG DAY.

 
At 9/12/2006 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been called for jury duty, although I know it's inevitable, and I dread the day when I can no longer brag about never having jury duty.

Meanwhile, my husband has been called 2 or 3 times just in the time I've known him.

 
At 9/12/2006 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get interviewed, tell them you do not think you would be a good juror because you don't believe in the American justice system.

Tell them it's not that you don't have faith in it, but that you do not believe in its existance because the leprechaun who lives in your left ear told you that it's all a lie that the judges who are from another planet want us to believe.

 
At 9/23/2006 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are being selfish. Unlike your friends above who are sole wage earners, have children, etc.

You barely work a full day of work on a regular basis and obviously have plenty of time to fill in messages on this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home