Thursday, December 07, 2006

Right-er?

Aaron and I have an ongoing argument about a suffix. Yes, we're that dorky, and we're okay with it.

Anyway, he is pretty much against the use of the suffix "-er". He thinks instead of smaller, it should be more small. It shouldn't be lighter, it should be more light. I disagree, and throw smallers and lighters, and heck, even a few neaters liberally into my speaking.

I understand that there are a few times that "-er" is not to be used. Nothing is ever "funner" it is definitely more fun, and if you say funner in all seriousness? I may sigh in exasperation because it sounds so horrible. And I know it's not "righter" as the title of this post suggests. I'd throw a sigh and an eye roll at that one if I heard it. But Aaron never wants to use the "-er" suffix if he can help it. And he corrects me regularly even in those instances when I am right and can use "-er" if I damn well please.

(On a completely different note, I am out of ideas on what to post this week. What, you couldn't tell? Also could you not tell that we had a long discussion about suffixes last night? Thus (almost) ends one of the most boring posts I have ever written.)

On yet ANOTHER completely unrelated note, I couldn't be more sad (or even sadder) about this. That poor family. Such a tragedy. Keep them in your thoughts, or prayers if you're so inclined. I can't imagine going through all that they've been through in the last two weeks.

5 Comments:

At 12/07/2006 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that is so annoying. If it were me, I would just keep reminding my husband that I am the one with a freaking college degree in English, and therefore I am the smarter one on that topic. But that's just me.

You should start using "more" instead of "er" on words that just end in "er" without it being a suffix. For example, your last paragraph should say "On yet MORE ANOTH completely unrealted note..." That oughta put him in his place. :)

 
At 12/07/2006 12:04 PM, Blogger Kelley said...

Ha! I'm with audrey; replace "better" with "more bett".

You will drive him insane. ;)

 
At 12/07/2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Mrs. Ca said...

You're all evil so far. And I like it!

 
At 12/08/2006 2:49 AM, Blogger Joy- Ms. Flamingo said...

I too am so sad about James Kim and his family. I've read the details listed in your link- how James went to great lengths to save his family, yet he died. Remembering his strong spirit and knowing that his family was saved is the important element of his story.

 
At 12/08/2006 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. You are totally righter.

PS. Just ask him what he lights a candle with. A "more light" or a lighter?

I rest my case.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home