Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Proposal Story

Three years ago today at about 11:30 pm, Aaron knelt down on my favorite pair of jeans and asked me to marry him. What, you want more of a story than that? Okay, here's the long version:

A little over three years ago, I found the engagement ring I wanted. I was out shopping by myself, and saw it. It fit perfectly, which I took as an omen, so I got the number on the tag of the ring and slipped it to Aaron when I got home. He and I had talked for a long time about getting married, but he wanted to wait a little bit longer to propose. Until he had a better job, he said, and he had a little bit of money saved up.

A couple of weeks later we were out shopping together for Christmas gifts, when we passed the store where I had found my ring. I dragged him in there to show him, but it was gone. I was completely bummed, and he was too. We talked about getting engaged a little more and he said it would probably happen around March, because he'd been working on saving up some money to buy a ring, and he figured he'd have enough saved by then.

Fast forward to this date in 2004. Aaron and I were set to go to our friends' house to help them stuff their wedding invitations, and then go to a play after that. As we were leaving our house, I asked if I could tell people there that he was my fiance, since technically we knew we were getting married, it just wasn't "official" yet. He said no, not today.

So we went, we stuffed envelopes, and we went to the play. We walked out of the theatre doors after the play was over and were met by temperatures below zero. It was FREEZING, to say the least. Aaron looked disappointed for some reason, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. He wouldn't tell me, either, so I didn't press it. He was quiet the whole way home (about a 90 minute drive), while I was chattering away, oblivious to his major scheme.

Once we got home, I was exhausted. It was way past my bedtime, and I had had a couple of glasses of wine, so I had to hit the bathroom first thing after we walked in the door. While I was headed there, Aaron shouted after me, "Where are you going?"

"I have to pee!" I replied over my shoulder as I ran to the closest bathroom.

After I was done there, and since I was really very tired, I decided to head up to bed.

"Where are you going now?" Aaron asked.

"To bed. It's late, and I have to work in the morning."

He seemed distressed, but frankly, at that moment I felt too tired to care very much. He followed me up the stairs. I went into the bedroom which was strewn with a couple of discarded outfits I had tried on but decided against earlier in the day. As I was taking off my earrings, he knelt down on the floor next to me, right on top of my favorite pair of jeans which I had carelessly left there.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Jessie, I love you. Will you marry me?"

Then he opened up a ring box that contained the very ring I thought had been purchased by someone else. He had it all along. Sneaky guy!

"Are you kidding me?" was my response. Mostly because he was such a sneaky guy, and I couldn't believe he had the ring.

Then I kissed him.

"Not exactly the response I was looking for," he said, looking at me like he was expecting something more.

"OF COURSE I'LL MARRY YOU!" I cried, while literally crying.

And that's how my wonderful husband proposed to me.

He wanted to propose on the stairs in front of the theatre but figured it was too cold, and that's why he looked disappointed on the way home. I truly had no idea what he had planned for that night. He always claims that I ruin his surprises, which I often do, but that day he completely surprised me and I'm so glad he did.

7 Comments:

At 1/25/2007 9:14 AM, Blogger Kelley said...

Awwwwww... A very sweet proposal story! I love that he tricked you about the ring - that was brilliant.

I had also picked-out my ring before Nick officially proposed. In fact, I was a little, um, OBSESSED with the bling prior to our engagement. Clearly, I had my priorities in line. ;)

 
At 1/25/2007 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww.... that's so sweet. What a great guy you have there.

 
At 1/25/2007 10:56 AM, Blogger Isabel said...

That is a very sweet story....thanks for sharing.

 
At 1/25/2007 11:50 AM, Blogger Sizzle said...

that's a sweet story. :)

 
At 1/25/2007 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! I love that he was able to surprise you like that.

 
At 1/26/2007 10:10 AM, Blogger That Chick Over There said...

That is a GREAT story! Aww! Sometime (around our anniversay I think) I think I will blog about when Jason proposed to me.

It's NOT ROMANTIC AT ALL. :)

 
At 1/26/2007 1:18 PM, Blogger S said...

That's so cute! I love engagement stories. I got engaged this past November, on my birthday. I had no clue. I was just hoping to get a bathrobe! His mom ended up getting me that for Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home